Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyder2Express

Spyder2Express

Hello! As I contemplate color 4x5 and scanning, I'm wondering of a basic calibration setup for my laptop. Does anyone have experience with the Spyder2Express? Best regards.

Mike

Re: Spyder2Express

I'm in much the same boat, and hope others will comment. From what I have read on the boxes. there are three versions of the Spyder: the Express, which is fairly limited, the Suite, which gives you more options, and the Pro which gives a *lot* of options.

A copy of the Monaco EZColor software came with my scanner, but I do not have a colorimeter (the hardware that reads the colour coming form the monitor). I've managed to follow the instructions on how to create a profile without one, but suspect this is much less than idea. I'd be *really* interested in finding out if I can use a cheap colorimeter like the once that comes with the Spyder or the Huey with that software. The "recommended" Monaco one costs about CDN $500, so I'm not in a big hurry to go get one of those...

Cheers,
    \donw

For basic monitor calibration you can't beat the Monaco unit that Jim at Midwest seels for around 100 bucks or less ...

Hello! What Monaco is this. The Optix costs abut $219. With the entire package with software its about $300. Best regards.

Mike

Optix it is ... I may misremember the price but it is well under 200 from Jim.

Hello! Thank you for the guidance. Reading the specs, it appears that one advanage of the Optix is that the Monaco software comes with the Epson 4990 pro and V750. It can calibrate the scanner, monitor, and printer, so it would be more versatile down the road. The Spyder2express only calibrates the monitor.

It would seem that the advantage of the Spyder2Express would be that if I plan to use just my laptop/scanner/printer and one paper for a year or so as I learn color management, then I could profile my printer for $30 to $50 for that one paper (or maybe two if I am adventursome).

From this scenario, the Monaco seems better, but to weigh it, any input for the Spyder would be helpful.

So, if/when I purchase a better Epson flat bed scanner, it may be better to pay the additional $200 for the Monaco colorimeter rather than the $100 for the Spyder2Express and $30 to $50 for a printer profile. Best regards.

Mike

I use the Spyder2Pro, which has an option a basic run mode which is equivalent to the Spyder2 Express. I've used this for a laptop with very good success.

By the way, if you purcahse a higher end monitor, it usually comes with SilverFast Ai which you can use with a target to calibrate the scanner. The Monaco is needed for scanner calibration.

Ok I'm new to this so I may need a little guidance. If spyder2express creates a ICC profile to send to the printer then isn't that calibrating the monitor so the printer prints what the monitor is rendering. So isn't that calibrating the printer and the monitor together? I'm just trying to understand about calibration so sorry for the novice questions. Thanks, Robert
    Last edited by robert; 18-Nov-2006 at 05:13.

Occasionally, the Monaco EZColor w/ Optix XR can be found on eBay relatively inexpensively. I picked one up for $120 recently...

I think there is some confusion going on here. First the Spyder2Express comes from ColorVision and the optix from Monaco/Xrite. Both do the same thing, calibrate your monitor to specified color standards.

The Spyder2Express does not do any printer profiling, to get that you need to step up to the next level in the ColorVision product line, the Spyder2Suite. I have not seen any results from this system but, for the moment, I am skeptical. For best printing results you need to uild profiles for each paper type you use. To do so requires a different device. The devices you use to calibrate your monitor is generically called a colorimeter (it is a type of spectrophotometer that measure transmissive light). The device used to profile papers is a reflective spectrophotometer, a different and much more expensive gizmo.

As for calibrating yoru scanner, you are using an IT8 test target which is either a film or reflective target with a range of color patches and grayscale that you use to be sure your scanner is properly adjusted. While you do get both the software and the target with Silverfast Ai you can also buy them separately.

Bottom line here is that any of the least expensive "pucks" will do a satisfactory job to calibrate yoru monitor. The less expensive the more limitations of course (e.g. ability to set gamma to your preferred point, etc.). More importantly is the quality of your monitor. Many of the least expensive LCD displays will either not accept calibration at all or just won't stay calibrated for more than a few minutes or hours. Apple displays, Eizo monitors, etc. take and keep calibration.

Printer/paper profiling is an entire different subject for another discussion and not one that you wnat to get into fromt he beginning. Most paper manufacturers provide decent profiles for their papers for use on the higher end printers. RIP manufacturers also provide paper profiles for lots of more popular papers. Try these first. Your entry level investment in paper profiling hardware/software is going to be around $1000 and that is only entry level.