Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disaster Aftermath

Disaster Aftermath

For those who missed it, the LF Home Page and the Forum were off line between 8/19 at about 5:45 CDT until now due to a hard server crash.

I was able to use the Saturday morning backup, so all the posts up to 19-Aug-2006 at 02:44 CDT were preserved. Anything posted after that was not. I've appended the posts that were automatically emailed to me (as a result of being subscribed to everything) below. If the author desires, they can repost (let me know if you need the re-ordered in the thread they belong to after you repost). You can choose not to repost if you so desire.

Anyway, everything else seems to be intact at this point, but I didn't look at every post. If you find any issues, email a detailed description of the problem to the moderators using the Contact Us form--be sure to refer to the page where your found the problem. If your account seems to be broken, be sure to include your user name (the one you use to log in with).

Anyway, enjoy!

Here are the missing posts (times are Central Daylight time, GMT-5):

Time: 8/19/2006 3:30AM
    Forum: For Sale/Wanted
    Thread: WTB - Ilex #4 Shutter
    Author: Capocheny

Perhaps...

I took it apart, and there's one piece that is pretty badly fused. Its supposed to move freely and it doesn't really want to move at all. I figure that the repair costs on the shutter may actually be more than buying a replacement, but I'll check into it.

Thanks!

Hi Sheldon,

Well, I hope it can be repaired. The fellow I use is absolutely great and he's able to repair just about anything that can go wrong. If he can't fix a particular part... he's able to replicate the part. He's a "single" version of S.K. Grimes!

If you do some searching in the archives... I believe there's a repair technician that is really highly recommended by some of the forum members. I'm sorry but I just can't seem to recall the person's name.

Good luck.

Cheers

Time: 8/19/2006 4:30AM
    Forum: Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Thread: Thoughts on the Shen-Hao 4x5
    Author: Paul-Owen

Hi. Any search on the subject will reveal a great deal of debate on these cameras! Some love them - others are not so fussed! However, if you are looking for a cheap entry into LF then you have no choice (other than looking around for a used Tachi or Wista). I think the biggest "problem" with Shen Hao is quality control - you either get a great one or a lousy example.

Time: 8/19/2006 4:54 AM
    Forum: Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Thread: 135mm or 150mm - Help persuade me
    Author: JW Dewdney

Focal length will have absolutely no bearing whatever on the quality of your shots, nor your learning - though if you do pick a more 'difficult' lens - you may learn more and become more creative. Pick one. It doesn't matter which. Stay with it and don't buy any more for as long as you can bear it. The more basic you keep your tools, the better you'll get with them.

I'm sorry if this advice conlicts with previous posts.

Time: 8/19/2006 10:12AM
    Thread: 135mm or 150mm - Help persuade me
    Author: Leonard Evens

Focal length will have absolutely no bearing whatever on the quality of your shots, nor your learning - though if you do pick a more 'difficult' lens - you may learn more and become more creative. ...

Focal length may have no bearing on the quality of the shots you take, but it certainly has a bearing on which shots you take. That is why it is advisable for a beginning to start with a viewing frame to get an idea of what he or she can do with a given focal length and compare that with what he or she wants to do.

Time: 8/19/2006 10:15AM
    Thread: strange lens in a Bionic shutter
    Author: Wenbiao Liang

Thanks Dan again for the information, I will sure take some shots with it, after I fix the shutter that is.

Thanks,
    Wenbiao

Last edited by Tom Westbrook; 24-Aug-2006 at 15:36.

Re: Disaster Aftermath

Hey Tom - epic job - thanks!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Eric Biggerstaff

Tom,

Good work to you and all that helped! I missed everyone and it is great to be back in business. Thanks again for the excellent work.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Wow. Suddenly I can breath easier. Never knew I'd miss y'all as much as I did.

Thanks for all of the work you do on here - I do appreciate it

Actually, Brian Reid did all the work--I just restored the forum data. He replaced the entire server and put the database on a RAID array this time, so this sort of long outage should not reoccur. I'll pass on the gratitude, though! He's a great guy in my book!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Good going, folks! Welcome back!!

Withdrawal symptoms are easing up already. Welcome back!

Dave Karp

Its great to be back. Thanks for putting things back together, and thanks to Brian Reid.

It is amazing how much I missed this august group during the past few days this August!

A good fix must feel like this (ahhh...).
    Thanks to all who worked on the disaster relief.