Thread: 4x5 hangers

4x5 hangers

Hello,

I plan on developing my 4x5 B&W negs in 3 tanks...since I am new to sheet film developing I have one question at this point. What is the best design ( make ) of S S hanger for 4x5 use. Also ease of use would be a big consideration.

Thanks Gerry

Re: 4x5 hangers

Personally, I don't like the Kodak hangers - the long lip that traps the film has been problematic for me in the past, as I would get a thin strip of extra density along the same film edge as the clip. However, my agitation way back then (4-5 years ago) was probably too gentle, so take that account.

Currently, I use Carr hangers - these hangers use a 'U' shaped wire clip that goes over the film. It works very well for me. I have about 20 of these hangers, and plan on selling them after I'm pushing up daisies

Dave Karp

Just goes to show you. When I used hangers, I preferred the Kodak hangers over the Carr hangers. I had trouble with the Carr clip, and never had any trouble using the Kodak hangers. I think that you will be able to find used examples of both types pretty inexpensively, and recommend you try both to see what you like.

Avoid the hangers that take 4 sheets of 4x5 (Kodak). My extensive experience with those suggests that it's impossible to get even agitation with them- even with nitrogen-burst systems. The single 4x5 hangers can be made to work just fine, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson
    Avoid the hangers that take 4 sheets of 4x5 (Kodak). My extensive experience with those suggests that it's impossible to get even agitation with them- even with nitrogen-burst systems. The single 4x5 hangers can be made to work just fine, though.
    Even there, outcomes differ. In the late 70s I did about 9000 4x5 duplicate negs in 40up 4x5 hangers with no problems when using nitrogen burst tanks and DK50. The only way to be sure is to try and see...
    Michael

Oh boy, some really different answers here. In my case I like the Kodak 4A hangers and avoid all others. And when I have a lot of 4x5 film I use the 4 up hangers in 8x10 tanks. Never had a surge problem with 4x5. For best results and the least chemistry I use BTZS tubes. But you can only do six at a time then.

Kodak. I use a very slow action for T-max, Delta films and fast for all other.

Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    Personally, I don't like the Kodak hangers - the long lip that traps the film has been problematic for me in the past, as I would get a thin strip of extra density along the same film edge as the clip. However, my agitation way back then (4-5 years ago) was probably too gentle, so take that account.

Currently, I use Carr hangers - these hangers use a 'U' shaped wire clip that goes over the film. It works very well for me. I have about 20 of these hangers, and plan on selling them after I'm pushing up daisies

I'm bringing the Daisy seeds, don't get too comfortable..EC 8^))

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke
    I'm bringing the Daisy seeds, don't get too comfortable..EC 8^))
    Sure buddy, bring it on. Oh, yeah, enjoy that new GPS you bought too

Getting back on topic....

A buddy of mine develops all of his film using 2-over-2 4x5 hangers in deep tanks (by hand, 6 hangers at a time), and I think he's developed around 15,000 negs with them, with no development problems. So, I guess all types of hangers work; how well they work probably has more to do with the user at the other end than anything else.....

Agitate continuously for the first minute, in and out 4 times the first 30 sec and 4 times the second 30 sec. Drain at 45 deg for each immersion cycle.

Pick no more 4 hangars unless you have a hangar rack that holds 8.

Initial agitation is the key to no flow marks etc.

The more dilute the developer and longer the time, the less trouble you will have.