Thread: Nikkor vs Rodenstock and Schneider

Nikkor vs Rodenstock and Schneider

I'm new to LF and trying to get a 90mm lens. B&H sells the nikkor 90mm 4.5 for $1000. The rodenstock for $1620 and the Schneider for $1725. Is the nikkor that much lower quality? I've also been checking eBay. I see a 1984 rodenstock 4.5 for $800. Is it better than a new nikkor?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: Nikkor vs Rodenstock and Schneider

Forget it, just pick up the one that fits your budget, get out, and shoot. They'll provide similar results. It's more important to practice creating the good image rather than quibbling over what lens to use. At that level it doesn't matter. One of the huge advantages of LF is that you can use anything on the front, and you can still get some great imagery.

Cheers

Oh one more things.. there's enough to screw up in LF, BESIDE the lens, that's why it's more important to go with technique.
    Last edited by snuck; 7-Aug-2006 at 18:54.

Exactly what this gent said!

Nikon lenses are not lower quality compared with the two lenses you mention. And if you shop used, you can find some seriously great gear for not much money, regardless of make. Fuji, Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock have all made wonderful photographic optics for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by snuck
    Forget it, just pick up the one that fits your budget, get out, and shoot. They'll provide similar results. It's more important to practice creating the good image rather than quibbling over what lens to use. At that level it doesn't matter. One of the huge advantages of LF is that you can use anything on the front, and you can still get some great imagery. Cheers

Give me $1000 and I'll save you $2000 buying the right lenses on eBay.

The Germans have a larger image circle and maybe abit more brand image, but all three are fine, great lenses. Nikon isn't making LF lenses anymore, which may be why they are selling off the other prices.

The main difference when comparing any of the modern multi-coated lenses from the big four (Nikon, Schneider, Rodenstock, Fuji) is the maximum aperture and the image circle (format coverage). The differences in resolution between different samples of the same lens may be greater than between the different brands.

A lens by one manufacturer may be preferable to others at a given focal length if it has a larger image circle and a lighter weight.

One can usually find good used lenses. Try KEH Camera Brokers, Midwest Photo Exchange, Badger Graphics.

Midwest Photo Exchange has a 9+ rated (virtually mint condition) used 90mm Nikkor SW f/4.5 and Calumet Caltar-II N (Rodenstock Grandagon-N) f/4.5 in stock, both for $895.

Unless you do a lot of low-light or interior photography, the Nikkor SW f/8 may be the pick of the litter in the 90mm focal length. It has the same image circle as the SW f/4.5 (235mm) and is much smaller and lighter (355g). Kerry Thalmann lists it as a future classic, and has this to say about it:

The lightest of all modern (Biogon derivative) multi-coated 90mm wide angle lenses. It is an excellent performer, with great coatings (NIC). It's relatively compact size and lightweight (lighter than the 90mm Super Angulon at 390g, the 90mm f8 Fujinon SW at 407g and 90mm f6.8 Grandagon-N at 460g) make it a favorite for 4x5 field photography. It also has substantially greater coverage (235mm) than the other compact (slow) modern 90mm wide angles (216mm for the Super Angulon and Fujinon SW - 221mm for the Grandagon-N).

The SW f/8 is also considerably cheaper than the f/4.5 (you should be able to pick up a good used one for $500-600). It is a popular lens and pops up fairly regularly on Ebay and at Midwest Photo.

Thanks to all for the advice. I ended up getting a used 8+ Nikkor SW f/8 at B&H for $525.

When shopping lenses, the maximum aperture has become very important to me. Those lenses might be a bit larger and heavier, but the advantage of a brighter view for focussing beats it.
    I find f8 dim already.

G