Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Re: Why do you use a pseudonym?

Sorry for the mistake in word use. I should have said "their" for their name.
    Picked it up when trolling for comments about my name.

tr

Identity thief pure and simple and if that bothers anybody too bad!

I understand about identity theft and the reasons others have posted as well (paulr you make me wonder why I even use my nickname ). Curious as to how people may go about picking their pseudonym names.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't but it's easy to understand. There are a lot of people out there with outstanding arrest warrants, back taxes, overdue alimony and child support, not to mention known sex offenders, inside stock traders, card sharps, etc. I just assume anyone using a "handle" falls into one of these groups and feel we should respect their privacy.
    some of us don't use our full name, but don't make it too hard to figure out what it is ... website, profile, etc. etc..

which is to say, not everyone's completely ashamed of being an inside trader, sex offender, wife beater, or horse thief.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

if someone wants to steal my identity ... ha!

joke's on them.

maybe i can arrange for the credit card bills and grant rejection letters to go to straight to their house.
    Last edited by paulr; 9-Aug-2006 at 13:43.

I don't use a pseudonym but names are irrelevant anyway.

Privacy is an important thing, even for the non-criminals. People "accidentally" disclose way too much info about themselves as it is, and this is dangerous. You're not necessarily "hiding something" if you chose not to disclose personal info particularly if its irrelevant personal info.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Seyle
    I'm curious...if you are one who uses a pseudonym (or initials or 1st name only) on this forum, why don't you use your real full name? To me you lose cred --as if you have something to hide, IMHO.
    OK, so you just dismissed thousands of very famous and very credible book authors as having no credibility. Now who's got no credibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Seyle
    I'm curious...if you are one who uses a pseudonym (or initials or 1st name only) on this forum, why don't you use your real full name? To me you lose cred --as if you have something to hide, IMHO.
    I don't leave my house open to the public either and it still doesn't mean I got anything to hide.

It's all per need to know basis - anybody who thinks they have such a need should simply ask. But chances are, if you really need to ask, you don't really need to know.

I have found horse-thieving to be a bit cumbersome.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

I use mine everywhere for 15 years. If you do search by my nicknname, it's me. BTW, Hruby is my last name and SAS is a software I am working. Best soft ever built. www.sas.com. Even Ebay has the same id.

Peter Hruby
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca