Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the easiest and most efficient way to process 4x5 film?

What is the easiest and most efficient way to process 4x5 film?

I'm currently using tanks and hangers to process 6 4x5 sheets at one time. This is great and I like it, except two problems. One, the tanks take a half gallon of chemistry and two, I can't seem to get even development. I'm getting some bromide streaking. Is there a way to elimanate the streaking when using tanks and hangers? I've heard of using a pre soak, but I use ilford film and they don't recomend a pre soak.

I've been looking at the Jobo film expert. They look nice but are $$. I also looked at the BTZ tubes, which look interesting but I don't think I would like them. What about tray processing? I'm looking for recommendations. I would really like to keep processing in the tanks and hangers if at all possible. But if not, I'm certainly willing to try a new method. Thanks!

Re: What is the easiest and most efficient way to process 4x5 film?

The other Jobo system the 2500 tanks are more reasonable. Even more reasonable used. But even brand new I think you could get a 2551 tank and two 2509N reels for about $100 US. That setup would handle 12 sheets of 4x5. Add a uniroller motorbase and a timer you'll have a system that uses relatively little chemicals. At least 600ml will do the 12 sheets.

OTOH trays are even cheaper.

Jobo has announced that they are no longer making the alt series and if I am not mistaken their entire line of jobo roller processors.
    This provides a huge problem for me as I have invested in two Alt 2300 and all the reels and tanks.
    If they are going to stop making new machines the support for parts will soon dry up no matter what assurances they give right now.
    Omega Sattar is representing Jobo, we tried to order a lift arm * $1000 approx* about 8 weeks ago, they will not answer our request.
    A lift arm has approximately 36,000 lifts and will go bad without warning.

We now think that we will have to design a rotary system that uses parts of the Jobo system *remember we invested all those dollars on tanks and reels* but try to incorporate the best of Jobo and other systems to make a semi automatic system, bypassing the auto lift and auto chemical feed systems.*those two features are what go first and are the most expensive to replace.*

If anyone here has modified a rotary system using off the shelf components that will be a reliable source of parts I would be a very happy camper to hear from you.

Jobo rotary is a wonderful processing device and it really is to bad they have made this unfortunate and shortsighted decision to stop making machines for processing.

Bob for B&W you can just put the tanks on something like a uniroller base. While also no longer made fairly common and should be fairly simple to copy. It's basically just a motor that switches direction. The setup will manage the 2551 and bigger tanks up to and including the 2581 tank. I think others have used them for expert tanks to.

For colour you need to add an external tempering bath. Luckily the tanks are so well insulated that they hold temperture well. But do a simple test. Preheat the tank. Doesn't need to be anything more then pouring in some water at the process temperture. Pour it out and add some new water. Close the lid and wait 10 minutes. Check the temp. Even without the tank sitting in a water bath I think you'll find very little if any drop in test waters temperture.

The Jobo expert drums. Reasonable price used, easy to load, low chemical volume, consistent even development, easy to hand roll on $20 Jobo roller base.

Eric Biggerstaff

I use a Jobo 3010 on a Beseler motor base and it works very well. Don't discount the BZTS tubes however as they work very well also, are well priced and give you the ability to process one sheet if needed. I used them for many years and they were great, in fact I wish I still had them as I find I often have less than 10 sheets to develop.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Try an infra red viewing device and a set of correctly-sized "trays".

Actually, I don't use trays, but inexpensive plastic clothing storage containers, available at discount stores. They are around 5 inches wide, 10 inches long, and 6 inches high. Perhaps these were intended to be used to store socks, I don't know.

They occupy very little space, and fill upwards more than outwards - so they are deep rather than wide. The film can't slip away to another part of the container, and there is less exposure to the air.

Being able to see what you are doing, in total darkness, all along the process, is a blessing. This cannot be overstated.

I'll assume you're talking about b&w film.

I've used trays, I hated them - standing in the dark for 15 minutes while inhaling chemical fumes and jiggling trays isn't my idea of fun. I use the BTZS tubes. Since you don't say why you don't think you'd like them I can't help you there, I can just say that I've used them for about 12 years and they have a lot of advantages. They use minimal chemistry (2 ounces per sheet of 4x5, since I use D76 1-1 that means I process six sheets of film with 6 ounces of chemicals), once the film is in them everything is done in daylight, you can develop different sheets for different times in the same run, they take up little space, they don't have to be used in a dedicated darkroom, and development is very even. All in all an excellent way IMHO to process b&w film.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I am using a combi-plan tank to develop 6 sheets (b&w) at a time...To avoid both streaking and chemistry consumption I develop my sheets (efkePL100 and TMAX100) in either AcuLux2 or FX-39 diluted as 1:19. This means I only need 60ml of developer for a total of 1200ml to go into the tank. The development takes a bit longer (TMX 17min, 20C) but it's done in daylight so it's possible to do other things at the same time.

A combiplan daylight tank is probably the best solution in terms of ese of use and cost. If you do want to go the rotary processing route, Jobo is not the only game on the block; there is also Phototherm and Wing-Lynch. All three of the mentioned Rotary processing systems are easonably available on the used market at decent prices. I am a bit more optimistic than Bob about the continued availablity of parts from Jobo (I have to be as I also have a huge investment in an ATL processor and expert drums).