Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free fall gathering in Algonquin Park this fall

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Free fall gathering in Algonquin Park this fall

I'm organizing a fall group shooting/gathering at Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario on Friday Oct. 13th until Sunday Oct. 15th. This is the weekend following Canadian Thanksgiving. You can stay overnight or just come up for the day... and spouses are welcome. It's free but you have to cover your own costs and park fee.

It's open to anyone who considers themselves a large format shooter.

For more information go to my website at www.bigcameraworkshops.com

-Rob Skeoch

Re: Free fall gathering in Algonquin Park this fall

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch
    I'm organizing a fall group shooting/gathering at Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario on Friday Oct. 13th until Sunday Oct. 15th. This is the weekend following Canadian Thanksgiving. You can stay overnight or just come up for the day... and spouses are welcome. It's free but you have to cover your own costs and park fee.

-Rob Skeoch

Hi Rob,

Good luck on the gathering. I'd love to come out but we're off to San Fran at that time.

See you in September.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Rob,

I enjoyed talking with you at the APUG Conference and appreciate your offering to set up this gathering. The park sounds beautiful. The event and LF camaraderie will be enjoyable. Since I have never been there can you tell me if the scenic things one might shoot are accessible by Toyota SUV or are there trails that would allow a baby jogger with 20” wheels and 100 pound shocks? http://babyjogger.com/performancesingle.htm
    I am 66 years old and this is how I move my 8x10 or 7x17 gear. It won’t do stairs and needs about a two foot wide path or open field. I use it here all over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. On fairly level ground the operator is good for up to about two miles. Would either the SUV or Baby Jogger be viable there?

The pot luck dinner: I would be driving from Cleveland and the chief cook in our house is still teaching and can’t make the trip. Could I contribute a fair $ share to the supplies, liquid or culinary? Is dinner at a local restaurant a viable alternative?

Some related sites that may tempt others to come.
    http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/index.html
    http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/algo.html
    http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/c...o/algonqui.htm “Artists, hikers, and photographers know the hardwood hills of Algonquin provide the most concentrated and flamboyant display of autumn colour, to be found west of Vermont. Vast stretches of sugar maple, in concert with white birch and dark green firs, present a visual celebration to summer's end, that offshore visitors find unbelievable.”

Thanks,

John Powers
    Last edited by John Powers; 17-Aug-2006 at 09:00. Reason: Form would not take all of the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch

-Rob Skeoch
    Thanks for making the effort. I lived in Ottawa for a few years but stupidly never made it to the park. Every year I said I would go for the fall colors, but was always too busy at that time of the year.

I will do my best to make it this time.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Smile Re: Free fall gathering in Algonquin Park this fall

Hi Rob,

As I said I would like to go, It depend on lots of thing, but I am 80% sure I would go. I sent you e-mail earlier this week I will contact you later. I am very busy these days, Let's hope it would be less stresfull next week.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Thanks guys, I think we're going to have fun.
    And Yes I will have a changing tent with me.
    -Rob

See if we can get a group from Ottawa to join you for this outing.

I've contacted those I know who live near Ottawa and invited them.
    It's open to anyone who wants to go, included fans of the Senators.
    Feel free to email me.
    Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Algonquin Large Format Gathering Oct. 13, 14, 15
    The Large Format Gathering in Algonquin Park is just a week away, and it looks like we're going to hit the fall leaves at the perfect time in Algonquin.

Hopefully the weather will be great as well.

This gathering is open to anyone who considers themselves a large format enthusiasts. You're invited to come whether you have years of experience or are just starting out. In fact if you want to get into large format but don't have a camera I have an extra 4x5 you can use. This is not really a workshop but just a gathering where we can get out shooting, meet people with a common interest and have fun.

This is casual gathering and we can change things as we go but this is how I see it happening..... head to Algonquin on Friday Oct. 13th. Get set-up if you're camping or relax if you're in a hotel or the bunkhouse. We're basing the gathering out of the "Wolf Den Bunkhouse" (wolfdenbunkhouse.com) just west of the west gate on Hwy. 60. That's where I'll be staying and a few others are as well. Alternate choices will be camping in the park, or staying at a lodge in the park, or a hotel in Huntsville. Make your own accommodations.

Things get started on Saturday morning. We're going to meet at the Restaurant of the "Portage Store on Canoe Lake" on Sat. morning. They're in the park about 10-minutes past the West Gate Entrance. They open at 8am and I plan to be there around 8-8.30 for breakfast. You don't have to eat but might as well grab a coffee as we get organized. The plan is to meet around 8.30, get to know a few names and head out shooting in small groups. I hope we can be leaving the Portage Store by 9.30 on Saturday. Shoot for the morning.... meet somewhere to swap notes... go out shooting in small groups.... meet as a large group at the Wolf Den bunkhouse for a pot-luck dinner... show some prints if you like in a casual manner.

On Sunday we'll meet somewhere for a bite..... go out shooting in small groups.... meet to swap notes.... either go out shooting again or head home.

This gives people who don't know the area a chance to hook up with others who do know the area.

The Wolf Den Bunkhouse is just that, a bunkhouse although they do have some cabins as well. On Sat. night we plan to meet there for a common dinner. You can't buy food at the bunkhouse but they have a kitchen where you can cook and ovens. I plan to bring some lazenga and heat it up, if others can bring something that would be great as well. They have a up-stairs loft where we can relax and look at prints.

If you have questions or need to borrow a 4x5, need film etc. just email me... skeoch@sympatico.ca

-Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Hi Robert,

I am following up on my mail I sent you a month ago. Unfortunately, I can't come. I'll be on the dog show in London. It's so unfortunate. It's a big show out there, like Standard Schnauzer Canadian Championship.

Next time I will definitely go.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca