Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LF'ers in the Pacific Northwest...

LF'ers in the Pacific Northwest...

in just a little over a week (9 days to be exact), i will be moving from sunny texas to scenic Portland, Oregon. i know we have some forum members (kirk, chris, brian, kerry, henry(nearly), jack, mike, etc) that live in the area and was wondering if there was any sort of LF club i could check out. with so much to see and shoot, meeting up with like-minded folks would certainly help me learn a bit about my new home.

scott

Re: LF'ers in the Pacific Northwest...

Scott, you made a great decision to move to Portland. But don't tell anyone else. We don't want the whole of the US moving here just because it's nice, or anything. OK?

When you get settled, send me an email. There are at least two groups of folks you might be interested in hanging out with.

lazy retired bum

Welcome to the currently sunny Pacific Northwest. There are lots of excellent photographers of all types here, though we seem to have a lot of "ARAT" folks (Another Rock, Another Tree).

I would encourage you to check out the Portland Photographers Forum http://www.portlandphotoforum.org/. We have a great group, friendly people, superb workshops, and meet monthly during the school year at Wilson High School, in the west hills of Portland. I hope you saw the notice from Robert Brummit about the Photographers Faire in November. This group has existed in a couple of forms for over 20 years. Message me if you have any specific questions.

Eric

What? You don't like Seattle-Tacoma? We have better weather, better scenic area (we have Mt. Rainier), more stuff to photograph (Seattle, Puget Sound, Olympic and Cascade Mountains, etc.), some great photography resources (Glazer's), and .... Ok, we have worse traffic and sometimes more stupid drivers, higher home prices, and so on. And Portland probably has better LF clubs/groups.

Just kidding. Best wishes. You'll enjoy Portland, and you'll enjoy the Northwest more now. If you plan a trip to Mt. Rainier, you're welcome to send me your questions and/or experiences for my photo guide to the NP if you want.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles
    What? You don't like Seattle-Tacoma? We have better weather, better scenic area (we have Mt. Rainier), more stuff to photograph (Seattle, Puget Sound, Olympic and Cascade Mountains, etc.), some great photography resources (Glazer's), and .... Ok, we have worse traffic and sometimes more stupid drivers, higher home prices, and so on. And Portland probably has better LF clubs/groups.
    Hey Scott,

You know what I like best about Washington? It's right next to Oregon. So, all those great places you mention are within a few hours drive of Portland - as are all the great locations down this way, like the Gorge, the Oregon Coast, Mt. Hood, Central Oregon, etc. The entire PNW is really blessed with an abundance of scenic wonders - and the diversity of the PNW landscape never ceases to amaze me.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg
    in just a little over a week (9 days to be exact), i will be moving from sunny texas to scenic Portland, Oregon. i know we have some forum members (kirk, chris, brian, kerry, henry(nearly), jack, mike, etc) that live in the area and was wondering if there was any sort of LF club i could check out. with so much to see and shoot, meeting up with like-minded folks would certainly help me learn a bit about my new home.
    Scott,

Welcome. You're gonna love it here. Please lock the gate and pull-up the draw bridge when you cross the state line.

Kerry

Let's not let the rest of the country know what we have here. Oregon is a gem and the people are friendly. We have great beer and wine and food. All three important factors for me. Everytime I take my camera out for some fun. I meet other fellow photographers or people who are fans of photography.
    Like Eric Brody has said, Portland Photographers Forum is a great group of photographers. I would say about 60-70% are large format users and about 90% are black and white printers.
    PPF next speaker in September will be a gentleman who has a rare FSA movie of Ansel Adams that he's going to show. Luckily he has a 35mm projector for us to use.
    Give us a try.

Hi Scott - Congratulations on your move, I think you'll love it here - very nice people, minimal traffic (maybe not true of Portland but certainly true here in Bend), little congestion, great climate (at least in Central Oregon where I live), and more opportunities for photography than you can imagine. Just yesterday I drove about fifteen minutes from my house to a beautiful waterfall, then hiked up the mountain for about two miles photographing things in and around the river all the way up. If I had the time to continue another couple miles I would have ended up in a huge meadow surrounded by mountain views or so I'm told. In addition to the Oregon people you mentioned, Saulius lives in Bend and Doremus spends a lot of time in this area.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

And we have dry, lots and lots of dry in the Eastern part of each state, both different from their geologic history. I loved the Warm Spring area when I worked there with the USGS for two weeks, and saw the Deschutes River canyon near Madras. And we have basalt canyons in eastern Washington. And if that's too much, we have the Rockies and Snake River plain in Idaho, the Blue and Wallowa Mountains in NE Oregon and SE Washington, the Steens Mountains area in SE Oregon, and the Okanogan Mountains in north-central Washington. I'm sure folks will add their favorites.

Scott R., you're in for many treats, and I don't think you'll miss Texas much. Our miles and miles have scenery along the way.

To Kerry, hopefully by the November workshop I'll have my Layton with some experience to ask a lot of questions.

Welcome to the neighborhood! You'll really enjoy the Portland area and all the scenery within a couple hours drive. Send a PM when you get in town and settled, I'm always up for a hike/shoot.

Chris - when was it that the antique car/tractor event was going to take place down in Salem (same place as the Brooks Steamup)? Perhaps we could put together an outing.