Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade lens board ?

Homemade lens board ?

Hello LF users,

I am just new to LF and this forum. Have just purchased a Cambo SC-2 on Ebay and a Caltar S-II 210 5.6f lens with Copal #1 shutter. The Cambo came with no lensboard and here lies the meat of my question..as a home woodworker it should be easy to make a lensboard of something like quality birch aircraft ply and a good Forstner bit for the hole..a 1 5/8" bit would come very close with a bit of sanding to fit. Could someone please tell me the thickness of a Cambo lensboard ? Any suggestions or ideas in this area from those who have attempted this would be great..for example do I need a seal around the outside of the board etc. This is my second time to post this question and my first time on the forum..I don't know were the other one went so forgive me if it is out there somewhere. Is there anyone in the on this forum living on Vancouver Island B.C., Canada ?
    Thanks Gerry

Re: Homemade lens board ?

Don't know about the Cambo but in general boards are fairly forgiving. If the hole isn't overly large the lens will fit fine. Various materials work.

Terence

Do a search on this site. There have been many many discussions on this.

Personally, I use a piece of tempered hardboard (masonite) from a cheap clipboard, and two layers of black mat board on the back to provide the light baffle. I make the hole by drilling a series of overlapping holes at the circumference. With many of my old lenses I don't have a proper flange, so I just screw the lens into a tight-fitting hole. Except for large, heavy lenses this works fine.

Masonite!? Shouldn't a "proper" LF lens board be made of laminated Brazilian Rosewood?

As others have noted, lensboards are pretty forgiving. I've laminated various hardwoods, and past threads have suggested materials like Pergo wood floor covering. Just measure the opening dimensions, and allow for a light trap rabbet around the edges. Ideally, paint the backside of the board flat black. The light trap rabbet can be done with your router, or by laminating (cross-grain for added warp resistance). Also, allow about 1/4"-3/8" of thinner material around the lens hole for the retainer ring if you laminate or route the edges. That will become obvious when you try to mount the lens to a thick board.

For Forstner-oriented lens hole sizes, see:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ole_sizes.html
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 31-Jul-2006 at 19:24.

Ralph and others thanks for your time & input...you have given me plenty of ammo to start my project once the lens arrives and measurements are made to confirm my calculations. For those of you who have Cambos..you may find this interesting although I'm sure it is common knowledge to some..my Cambo SC-2 is the Euro name given for the Cambo NX here.what no fireworks. lol Where on this forum could I locate Canadian LF users especially those situated in British Columbia and fine tuning more Vancouver Island.

Thanks again Gerry

Hi Gerry,

"Personally, I use a piece of tempered hardboard (masonite) from a cheap clipboard, and two layers of black mat board on the back to provide the light baffle."

Black foam-core works well too and is really easy to trim. The masonite is just the right thickness to work with the retaining ring. If you want, a cork gasket between the shutter and board will stop it from turning without over tightening the retainer.

Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Harrison
    . . . Where on this forum could I locate Canadian LF users especially those situated in British Columbia and fine tuning more Vancouver Island.
    Click on the "Members List" item in the navigation bar, and then "Advanced Search". That will allow searching on location. Not everyone includes their location in their profile, however.

Cambo boards are cast aluminum, 1/8" thick at the edges, but have fairly deep grooves in the back to mate up with ridges on the cameras front...you might have fun making one out of plywood, but then again. Buying a used one will be a lot easier. There have got to be tons of used boards out there, even I have some.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Gerry: I'm in Victoria, too. If you want to chat, drop me a note at don.wilkes [at] gov.bc.ca

Cheers,
    \donw

P.S. Did you know of the workshop coming up in Vancouver? We could meet a whole bunch of other local LF folk there, I think!

Gerry,
    Easy lensboard to build. You'll need a router or a drill press to do a neat job of the slot on the back side of the board. I do mine with a Dremel cutter in a drill press; takes longer than a router but the result is the same.

Here's a drawing of what I've been building:

The groove on the back is the light trap, so no further seal is required. I've used my homemade boards with everything from pinholes to a 10" f/4.5 lens in a No. 4 shutter, so I can say they are both light-tight and sturdy enough.
    Last edited by Alan Davenport; 7-Aug-2006 at 10:53.