Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD vs MC

Pyrocat HD vs MC

I've decided to give Pyrocat a try. I noticed the two versions on Photographer's Formulary, but am not clear about the benefit of each.

From what I gather after looking around on here, MC is an improvement over HD in the sense that it has slightly shorter development times, lower general stain, and no phenidone.

I'm not trying to start a food fight between proponents of the two, but I'm using pyrocat for the first time, so I would be interested in knowing why I would want to start with HD instead of MC.

I would be grateful if someone could explain the benefits of HD over MC?

Re: Pyrocat HD vs MC

There's probably a bigger knowledge base to draw from with HD about times and dilutions specific to uses (azo, VC, whatever). But people seem to be pretty excitited about the MC version. I just mixed a new liter batch of HD before I'd heard about MC, otherwise I would mix up some. In any case I plan to try it soon. The only disadvantage to either forumla is that talking about it around here seems to bring about the apocalypse. :-/
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 30-Jul-2006 at 08:50.

If you want to ask this question to the inventor of Pyrocat, you are going to have to go to APUG. Sandy no longer monitors or participates on this forum because of continued personal attacks from Jay. APUG bounced Jay for this same activity so at least Sandy can get his message to those interested without this unnecessary distraction.

This venue is becoming less and less relevant IMHO.

Dave,

there is no advantage to Pyrocat HD over Gainer's MC version. Both developers do the same thing, but the MC does it much better. Gainer's MC is a modern staining developer formulated to be made up in glycol instead of water, and contains no sulfites, bromides or iodides. It is very similar in concept to the original Hypercat, but Hypercat used phenidone instead of metol, because I didn't know how to dissolve metol in glycol. Gainer's MC is more complicated to mix than Hypercat, due to the metol, which must be mixed with TEA, ascorbic acid and water to make it glycol-soluble. The improved Hypercat contains only catechol, a tiny amount of ascorbic acid, and sodium carbonate, and does not require a secondary reducer. It is much simpler, and sharper than any of the Pyrocats, including Gainer's MC version, and is made by simply adding the catechol and ascorbic acid to room temp glycol and heating with stirring until dissolved, which requires about 125-150F, and a minute or two of stirring. Hypercat stains extremely efficiently and requires far less alkali than the Pyrocats. I use a 20% solution of sodium carbonate as the B solution, at ratios as low as 1:1 for extreme contraction development, or as high as 1:10 for extreme expansion development, with very high image stain and very low fog/general stain throughout that range, and a teaspoonful of sodium sulfite/liter of working solution converts Hypercat to a very active, and very acute non-staining developer, making it extremely versatile.

Pyrocat HD is way down on the list of good staining developers, behind 510-Pyro, Hypercat, Gainer's MC, and others, despite the affection many have for it. Good luck.

Jay

Forgot to mention that HD is very good at EMA/semi-stand development. I havent yet heard about how MC fares at this. I ran some FP4+ yesterday that was shot at a SBR of 13 and it contracts very smoothly while retaining nice local contrast, wonderful sharpness.

Colin,

MC is better than HD across the board, including reduced agitation development, producing less fog, more stain, and better sharpness. MC is very similar to Hypercat, with a tiny amount of metol added.

MC/ 10g of catechol contains:

ascorbic acid .8g

metol .05g

Hypercat/ 10g catechol contains:

ascorbic acid .5g

Results from the two developers are practically indistinguishable.

Jay

yet another pimping from the developer pimp jay d.

who died and made you king?

lee\c

OK, thanks to all for the comments. I decided to place an order for the MC in glycol so I can compare it to the HD. I can understand someone wanting to stick with a developer they're familiar and comfortable with if the benefits of switching to something else aren't that important for them. Hell, the only reason I'm testing new developers is because I think there's a possibility there have been some new developments in the past 15 years since I started using Tmax RS. LOL!

I also registered over at apug so I can post over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay De Fehr
    Dave,

there is no advantage to Pyrocat HD over Gainer's MC version. Both developers do the same thing, but the MC does it much better. Gainer's MC is a modern staining developer formulated to be made up in glycol instead of water, and contains no sulfites, bromides or iodides. It is very similar in concept to the original Hypercat, but Hypercat used phenidone instead of metol, because I didn't know how to dissolve metol in glycol. Gainer's MC is more complicated to mix than Hypercat, due to the metol, which must be mixed with TEA, ascorbic acid and water to make it glycol-soluble. The improved Hypercat contains only catechol, a tiny amount of ascorbic acid, and sodium carbonate, and does not require a secondary reducer. It is much simpler, and sharper than any of the Pyrocats, including Gainer's MC version, and is made by simply adding the catechol and ascorbic acid to room temp glycol and heating with stirring until dissolved, which requires about 125-150F, and a minute or two of stirring. Hypercat stains extremely efficiently and requires far less alkali than the Pyrocats. I use a 20% solution of sodium carbonate as the B solution, at ratios as low as 1:1 for extreme contraction development, or as high as 1:10 for extreme expansion development, with very high image stain and very low fog/general stain throughout that range, and a teaspoonful of sodium sulfite/liter of working solution converts Hypercat to a very active, and very acute non-staining developer, making it extremely versatile.

Pyrocat HD is way down on the list of good staining developers, behind 510-Pyro, Hypercat, Gainer's MC, and others, despite the affection many have for it. Good luck.

Jay
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a big fan of mixing my own chemicals, but I will read your article on digitaltruth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger
    I also registered over at apug so I can post over there.
    Sandy is a great resource and good about answering all manner of questions. I'm sure you'll like the pyrocat MC.