Thread: sironar n vs. apo sironar s

sironar n vs. apo sironar s

i've got a 150 sironar-n, late 80's vintage. i just aquired it and haven't used it yet. i'm sure it will work perfectly well, but what i'd mainly like to know is the difference between this lens and the 150 apo sionar s. i've never used this lens either but have seen and heard much hype over it, which i believe to be true. but what exactly are the differences?

thanks
    jeff

Re: sironar n vs. apo sironar s

I have both the 150mm APO Sironar S and 150mm APO Sironar N (Sinaron S) right now, and I just finished doing a quick comparison. Other than the image circle differences (214mm vs 231mm) there is not much difference between the two. The APO Sironar N is a little smaller/lighter, the APO Sironar S is a little bit more contrasty, and I'd give the slightest edge to the APO Sironar S in overall sharpness. However, the sharpness is almost too close to call (on 2400 dpi scans of Provia 100F).

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email you a crop comparison between the two.

AFAIK, the S has a larger image circle and uses rare earth glass for some of the internal elements.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

The S as noted covers a larger circle, it is optimized for 1:10 rather then 1:20, i is superior to the N at both table top range (1:5) and at infinity,it uses ED glass, it has a wider range of optimal apertures. It is generally a better overall performer then the Apo Sironar N. in addition, if your lens is not marked MC then the S, as well as the Apo Sironar N, will have greater contrast and apparent sharpness and be far less vulnerable to problems created by light hitting the front element. The MC drastically reduces light reflections off the glass and improves shadow detail in those situations.

The S is also sharper at the edges of the circle.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing
    The S as noted covers a larger circle, it is optimized for 1:10 rather then 1:20, i is superior to the N at both table top range (1:5) and at infinity,it uses ED glass, it has a wider range of optimal apertures. It is generally a better overall performer then the Apo Sironar N. in addition, if your lens is not marked MC then the S, as well as the Apo Sironar N, will have greater contrast and apparent sharpness and be far less vulnerable to problems created by light hitting the front element. The MC drastically reduces light reflections off the glass and improves shadow detail in those situations.

The S is also sharper at the edges of the circle.
    All that and the N is still a really nice lens!

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

The N lenses are smaller and lighter and excellent for backpacking or where you are otherwise putting together a lightweight kit. Otherwise, Bob S. covered it pretty well. Both are truly excellent lenses (I love my 135mm N -- purchased right from HP Marketing in fact).

Just to put this size and weight thing in perspective:

The 150mm Apo Sironar N weighs 7.8 oz and uses 49mm filters. It is 51mm long.
    The 210mm Apo Sironar N weighs 15.5 oz and uses 67mm filters.It is 66mm long.
    The 240mm Apo Sironar N weighs 27.5 oz and uses 77mm filters. It is 76.7mm long.

The 150mm Apo Sironar S weighs 8.8 oz and uses 49mm filters. It is 51.5mm long.
    The 210mm Apo Sironar S weighs 17.3 oz and uses 72mm filters. It is 69.5mm long.
    The 240mm Apo Sironar S weighs 34.6 oz and uses 86mm filters. It is 82mm long.

So for the most popular lenses, the 150 and 210mm, the difference in weight and length is immaterial for most users. The filter size is the same on the 150s and the 210S use a one size larger filter then the N.

It should be noted for those that care that all Apo Sironar N lenses except the 150 and 210 are discontinued and no longer manufactured.

As such the Apo Sironar S is available in focal lengths from 100mm to 360mm.

thankyou guys,

you've all been most helpful.