Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOP lightmeters starlite vs L558 vs Flashmeter VI

TOP lightmeters starlite vs L558 vs Flashmeter VI

While MinoltaKonica are discontinued, i've just found a shop that still have one in stock... but i don't know if i should buy it, considering the fact that MinoltaKonica is out of the race... warranty, parts, etc..

Considering this 3 meters, Gossen Starlite vs Sekonic L558 vs Minolta Flashmeter VI which one is the best (architecture photography) ? Prices are very close...

Thanks

Re: TOP lightmeters starlite vs L558 vs Flashmeter VI

I use a Gossen Starlight and, as it's the only handheld meter I have used, I cannot offer much in the way of comparisons. However, I will list my complaints!

1. No exposure information in the viewfinder;
    2. It eats batteries, even if I use it sparingly and switch it off after use;
    3. Its low-light sensitivity is disappointing; the light meter in my Canon EOS 3 can actually give me accurate exposures under moonlit conditions, whereas the Gossen reads "Err";
    4. Easy to lose lens cap

Apart from that, it does what it is supposed to do. Exposures are accurate and the Zone function is useful. This is a good light meter, but I don't exactly 'love' it.

Even though Minolta is getting out of the business... I wouldn't worry too, too much about it. My personal experience with these meters is that they are pretty darn reliable and if you're going to have any problems with it... you'll know soon enough.

I've been using a couple of Minolta Flashmeter III's for the past number of years and have experienced absolutely no problems with them! (Knock on wood! )

Secondly, I would think there are independent repair folks out there who are capable of repairing these meters and will have access to parts for the immediate future.

Aside from the above issue (and, I suppose it IS a very real concern)... I've found these meters to be really accurate and the only drawback to the III is their size. It's far from being a small meter.

Alternatively, the 558 is a great meter too and you wouldn't go far wrong with it. So, if you're really concerned about the meter giving you a hard time in the future... this is a good one to go with. As a matter of fact... I've been thinking about one of these strictly as a backup for my Minolta III's.

Cheers
    Last edited by Capocheny; 3-Jun-2006 at 02:37.
    Life in the fast lane!

Considering parts for Minolta Meters, here in france there's just one place to have one of this repair : PHOTO MS in Paris, they have a deal with Sony !

I went trough similar thoughts before buying a L-558, what sold me is that it`s almost waterproof. No complaints at all, great meter.

I would give the nod to the L-588. I just got mine the other day, its a L-588r, has wireless flash trigger and also the L-588 has the 2nd ISO button which can be dedicated for filter compensation or used however you'd like.
    BR

Just to even up the ledger: I love my Starlite.

1. I don't need to see the information in the finder. I have a memory and I can compare the numbers easily enough.
    2. Mine does not chew up the battery - a single alkaline AA battery. Mine will last months without needing to change it. Carry a spare and you're never going to be left in the lurch.
    3. I've never run out of sensitivity in normal picture taking light. Reciprocity failure would render a reading made in moonlight useless for me in any case. However, I'm often shooting after sunset and before sunrise. The meter has not let me down in these situations.
    4. I took the lens caps off before I even took the meter into the field. Once the meter is inside its case (ie when I'm not using it) nothing scratches the lenses. I've had mine for two years - no scratches. I've still got the caps - somewhere - but I don't need them.

Unless I lose this one, I can't see myself ever buying another meter. And if I do lose it - I'll buy another one just like it!

Cheers,
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by palantiri7
    I use a Gossen Starlight and, as it's the only handheld meter I have used, I cannot offer much in the way of comparisons. However, I will list my complaints!

1. No exposure information in the viewfinder;
    2. It eats batteries, even if I use it sparingly and switch it off after use;
    3. Its low-light sensitivity is disappointing; the light meter in my Canon EOS 3 can actually give me accurate exposures under moonlit conditions, whereas the Gossen reads "Err";
    4. Easy to lose lens cap

Apart from that, it does what it is supposed to do. Exposures are accurate and the Zone function is useful. This is a good light meter, but I don't exactly 'love' it.

Glad you have a memory and I don't, Graeme!

Sorry, I meant the L-558r, it was late when I posted.
    BR

i change my mind every 5 minutes... minolta....sekonic....minolta...