Thread: Rap100f Vs Rtp Ii

Rap100f Vs Rtp Ii

So I shot a test roll each of Astia and 64T, using a white textured fabric as my target material. I found that the color balance of each emulsion was quite different, more-so than I had anticipated. The Astia appears a bit to the green-cyan, while the 64T has more of a magenta balance. While I understand that it is advisable to create a custom filter pack when shooting a batch of any given emulsion for accurate color, I am wondering if the color differences I am seeing are normal. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    LB

Re: Rap100f Vs Rtp Ii

Fuji 64T is a tungsten film, meaning it is balanced to give correct color rendition when shot under tungsten (incandescent) lighting. It will give the wrong color balance if shot under daylight (shifting blue).

Fuji Astia is a daylight balanced film, meaning it is balanced for shooting outdoors in daylight.

The two films should give very different responses. What kind of lighting were you shooting under?

Daylight films are balanced for a color temperature of 5500 kelvin, while tungsten films are balanced for between 3200 and 3400 kelvin.

Household lighting has a lower color temperature than 3200, depending on the wattage of the bulb used and will require filtration to remove a color cast, even if tungsten is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones
    So I shot a test roll each of Astia and 64T, using a white textured fabric as my target material. I found that the color balance of each emulsion was quite different, more-so than I had anticipated. The Astia appears a bit to the green-cyan, while the 64T has more of a magenta balance. While I understand that it is advisable to create a custom filter pack when shooting a batch of any given emulsion for accurate color, I am wondering if the color differences I am seeing are normal. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    LB
    Assuming you used the appropriate balancing filter to expose both under the same light source, or exposed each under the light source for which it was designed, it still doesn't matter whether anyone here can share similar experiences. That's because 64T is a discontinued film, now replaced (likely on a stock turnover basis) by Fuji's new T64 Professional. I've not seen any of the new product yet nor read any reports on its performance, and suggest you don't make a choice between it and Astia until trying both yourself.

Yes, I understand that Astia is a daylight balanced film, while 64T is a tungsten balanced film. I used the appropriate filtration for my lights while shooting. I don't know about your hood, but where I'm from 64T is widely available, while T64 is not (yet). I repeat my question: Is it normal for these emulsions to be quite different in color?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones
    Yes, I understand that Astia is a daylight balanced film, while 64T is a tungsten balanced film. I used the appropriate filtration for my lights while shooting. I don't know about your hood, but where I'm from 64T is widely available, while T64 is not (yet). I repeat my question: Is it normal for these emulsions to be quite different in color?
    Still not sure about the specifics of your comparison, i.e. whether you shot both films in the same lighting with different filters, something I've never done. The most relevant information I can provide is that, if memory serves, transparencies of the same object shot on Astia outdoors and 64T under tungsten illumination, both carefully tested and filtered for neutrality, did not exhibit substantially different color. The 64T might have been a bit more saturated.

64T is still the only Fuji tungsten-balanced emulsion in stores here too, but spending much time analyzing results that will be obsolete in a few months seems like non-productive effort.