Thread: Linhof Technika lens questions

Linhof Technika lens questions

I have a number of Technika lens related questions, and wanted to condense them here so as not to crowd the forum with individual ones. For being both a Technika V and forum newcomer, I am very appreciative of the info I have received so far here, and so, offer my thanks for any info in advance. Here are my questions:

1. I just got a Rodenstock APO Sironar N 210mm lens on Ebay, and wasn't sure what kind of lens board I needed to get. Flat or recessed? What is the distinction between the two kinds of boards?
    2. I have been told to try to stay with the Linhof boards for the snuggest fit. Will a IV board fit on a V, or can I get only V or Master boards? In other words what kinds of boards will fit that people here can recommend?
    3. I know that I need to send the lens to Linhof to make the cam. How instead do I set the tiny stops on the track that set how far out you pull the front element, and, while I am at it, where does one get those?!
    3. Any advice on lens mounted shades (ie not compendium shades or my dark slide!)? I have no sense of how one chooses one for this kind of lens.

Again, thanks, and happy shooting!

Claudio
    www.claudiocambon.com

Re: Linhof Technika lens questions

1. A 210mm lens would normally go on a flat board.

2. IV, V, and MT boards are the same.

3. You can send the camera to Marflex, and they will set the stops and scale and check your groundglass calibration, or they can send them to you with instructions to do it yourself.

3. Normally 4 comes after 3, but if you want to have two 3's I'm okay with that. The Linhof Compendium is the best shade as far as shades go, but it's not always practical, particularly when you're shooting handheld with the rangefinder. I like the Linhof 70mm shade system, which takes 70mm Linhof drop in filters and uses adapters to clamp onto the lens. You can unscrew the shade from the filter holder to use the filters with the compendium shade.

I've owned a Technika V and a Master Technika (my present camera). You shouldn't need a recessed lens board unless you get a lens that's 80mm, maybe 75mm, or shorter. I used a recessed board with an 80mm lens but wasn't convinced it was really necessary. I bought it because the representative from the Linhof distributor said it was and I took his word for it. I've used a 90mm Super Angulon and didn't need a recessed board with it.

You don't need to use Linhof boards. I actually do use them but I've also used a Wista board, an Adorama knock-off board, and a Horseman woodfield board. All worked fine and cost much less than Linhof boards.

Those "tiny stops on the track" are called infinity stops. They appear from time to time on ebay or you can buy them from Marlex as David mentioned. Of course you don't need infinity stops unless you plan to use the rangefinder on your camera.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you put the 90mm in a recessed board, it can be shimmed so that it uses the same infinity stops with the focusing track in the recessed position as a 150mm lens on a flat panel.

Thanks everyone for the info.

So, if my 135 is on a recessed board, would it by chance use the same infinity stops as my new 210 on a flat board?

You would have to experiment with washers between the lens and the lensboard to fine tune the distance. A lot of people mount 135s (larger Planars and Xenotars) on recessed boards to make it even easier to close the camera with the lens mounted.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

There's a special recessed board for the 135mm f:3.5 Planar which brings the infiniy focus to the same place as a 150mm on a flat board. The recess is quite small.

[QUOTE=claudiocambon]I have a number of Technika lens related questions, and wanted to condense them here so as not to crowd the forum with individual ones. For being both a Technika V and forum newcomer, I am very appreciative of the info I have received so far here, and so, offer my thanks for any info in advance. Here are my questions:

1. I just got a Rodenstock APO Sironar N 210mm lens on Ebay, and wasn't sure what kind of lens board I needed to get. Flat or recessed? What is the distinction between the two kinds of boards?/QUOTE]

You need a flat Linhof board. Either 001026 or the flat board with the cable release quick coupling 001121.

As the name implies, a flat board is flat and the lens mounts on the surface of the board. A recessed board is recessed, in Linhof's case either 6mm, 12mm or 21mm and the lens mounts behind the front surface of the board. Recessed Linhof boards are only available for lenses in 0 shutter. your lens is in a 1 shutter. A recessed board is used with wide angle lenses and with 150mm lenses in 0 shutter which allows the 150mm to be left on the camera when folded.

/QUOTE]2. I have been told to try to stay with the Linhof boards for the snuggest fit. Will a IV board fit on a V, or can I get only V or Master boards? In other words what kinds of boards will fit that people here can recommend?/QUOTE]

All boards made for a IV, V or Master Technika will fit. Starting about 10 years ago Linhof added some CNC equipment to make their boards and the front standard. That made the fit of current Linhof boards on late model Master Technikas a very tight fit. So tight that to mount older boards on those Technikas you sometimes have to scrape the finish off the long sides of the older boards. This would not be an issue with your camera.

/QUOTE]3. I know that I need to send the lens to Linhof to make the cam. How instead do I set the tiny stops on the track that set how far out you pull the front element, and, while I am at it, where does one get those?!/QUOTE]

When you have a lens cammed the coupling package includes the cam, grinding the cam, the infinty stops and the focusing scale. If you send your camera in with the lens service will properly install the infinity stops and the focusing scale at the same time. If you do not send the camera in the charge for camming will be the same but you will have to istall the stops and the scale.

The screws that attach the infinity stops to the rial have sharp points on them that bite into the rail for a secure fit. If you install the stops and then loosen the screws and reset them to a different point you will leave small pock marks on the rail which can not be removed. If you would rather not hassel with the stops then send the camera to service with the lens.

Additionally the V has been out of production since 1976 so it is sure to need a CLA if it hasen't had one in a while.

/QUOTE] 3. Any advice on lens mounted shades (ie not compendium shades or my dark slide!)? I have no sense of how one chooses one for this kind of lens./QUOTE]

If you do not want to use the compendium then all you need for your lens is a rubber screw-in hood. However if you do movements then you could vignette part of the image with a screw-in hood. It also will not be as effective in eliminating flare as a compendium.