Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobo Expert Drum Question

Re: Jobo Expert Drum Question

Bruce, Thanks so much for your detailed description of your wash procedure. It sure makes sense to me and I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley
    Bruce, Is there a specific reason that you use distilled water? The water in my area is pretty good and I have never had any problems with my H2O. I mix my Photoflo with distilled water and give my film a final rinse with distilled water.
    you shouldn't use photoflo in the expert drums (not sure about other jobo drums)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    you shouldn't use photoflo in the expert drums (not sure about other jobo drums)
    Oh, yes. Absolutely. You'll never get that stuff out of a Jobo system lift or a drum. Always do the Photoflow rinse in a tray dedicated to the purpose.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Oh, yes. Absolutely. You'll never get that stuff out of a Jobo system lift or a drum. Always do the Photoflow rinse in a tray dedicated to the purpose.
    I use Photoflow in the 3010 drum. I pop the top and then fill the film wells with working strength photoflow. I have done this for years and never had any problems.

I may make a difference as to the quality of water your use. (I use regular, 20 micron filtered tap water.)

So what problems did you guys have with Photoflow in an expert drum???

Kirk - there's a jobo paper on it somewhere, but if I remember correctly, it leaves a residue on the drums that lasts for a long time (through numerous uses/washes) and which requires special cleaning to remove.

This in turn can harbour developer, fixer residue etc which can than come into direct contact with negs being processed in the expert drums because they rest against the walls of the drum... or something like that
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

here's one:

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service/us_...r_on_reels.htm

I've seen another more specifically on the expert drums, where it can be a bigger potential problem due to the direct contact

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    So what problems did you guys have with Photoflow in an expert drum???
    Soapy scum on the walls of the drum that won't come off, either by chemical or physical means. Causes other chemicals to foam (developers especially) and may interfere with their and/or the Jobo system's effectiveness.

The Jobo system I have now was once owned by a guy who did his own E-6 processing. Sure enough he did run stabilizers through the lift. It's been almost five years now and I still can't get the stuff out. And it still makes foam. Irritating, but doesn't seem to be overly harmful.

Bruce Watson

Bruce - have you tried that CLR stuff they sell via TV? (and at Home Depot etc)

No guarantees it may not screw other stuff up... but it really cleaned up nicely a rather cruddy expert drum I got off ebay

I figure if it's safe enough to run through my coffee machine it's probably okay in the jobo tanks :-)