Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Focus Magazine thread

Re: Bad Experience with Focus Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner
    I've spoken with Mr. Spivak on a few occassions and have sensed that he is a pretty busy person, but I can't say he was ever rude or discourteous to me. I have to believe the upcoming show in SF is only adding to the demand on his time. So far, David has done everything he has committed to do for me and while it is too soon to guage the effectiveness of exposure in Focus, judging from the comments and feedback I've had so far, it's not going to hurt. Magazines that are dedicated to promoting and fostering appreciation for what we do are too valuable a resource to shun.
    Not only am I organizing 8 issues this year, I am also responsible for at least 15 photographers and almost 100 framed prints plus over 300 matted prints for Photo San Francisco. We have the biggest booth there (tied with Vintage Works I believe). The entire expense for Photo San Francisco, after all is said and done will be well over $20,000. This is so that I can provide photographers with a way to meet directly with the collector one to one and have a venue to sell their works in one of the biggest places to sell art in the world. Mind you, with the exception of editorial, I control every other aspect of the magazine.

Michael E. Gordon

What you still fail to address is your lack of courtesy and respect for my time. I am a busy person, too. All I have asked is for a simple answer, and you've still managed to evade it; four emails, two telephone calls, and a forum thread later.

I would question me, too, but only if I was the first to report it. Your behavior is becoming a pattern, it seems.

Again, for the ninth time, when do you plan on returning my portfolio?

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag
    If you would like to take this private, my e-mail address is david@focusmag.info
    No thanks. Been there, done that. That's why we're here. It's interesting that you managed to receive my email pointing you to this thread, but you didn't get the four before it.

Keep diggin, buddy.

I'm sure you've witnessed the problems Emulsion had with launching. I know first-hand how difficult it is to launch and run a magazine with a limited amount of staff. Please, try and start your own magazine and be responsible for all that I am and then tell me you can do what you ask of me.

I do not ask for sympathy, I ask for understanding.
    Sorry bubba, but this is a red herring argument. Whatever problems other people or magazines have, whatever I can and/or cannot do does not excuse you from doing what you should do. Not having the courtesy to answer an e mail is just plain stupid, if dealing with you is going to be a hassle, why would any photographer want to submit work to you when there are other more stablished and reputable magazines like Lenswork, VC, etc, etc?

Mr. Gordon as other photographers do also, must understand that by exhibiting their work in the magazine, I am promoting their photography in which there is a high likelyhood they will either sell their work or pick up representation. In order to maintain the high quality standards Focus exhibits in each issue, we must get money to print and mail the magazines...this is, in fact an opportunity...a marketing and adveritinsg opportunity for the photographer in at least three issues to make money for themselves, get exposure and representation. In that light, if a photographer participates in the Photographer Marketing Program, we are helping each other.

Give me a break here, uh! For the amount of money you are asking I would be better off hiring an agent than your magazine. Second, the magazine is dependent on receiving good work, you are not doing us or any photographer a "favor" any more than we are doing it for you. It is a mutual benefit deal!

Most of all, those who make a living at this do so by promoting themsleves, hitting the bricks and sending submission to all galleries under the sun and keeping at it unceasingly, trust me, getting published in your magazine once is not going to open the flood gates.
    Last edited by Jorge Gasteazoro; 13-Jul-2006 at 19:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro
    Most of all, those who make a living at this do so by promoting themsleves, hitting the bricks and sending submission to all galleries under the sun and keeping at it unceasingly, trust me, getting published in your magazine once is not going to open the flood gates.
    Floodgates? Tell that to the photographers who have sold over $10,000 worth of work or the photographers who have gotten representation from Fine Art Photography Galleries in New York City -- AIPAD member galleries. Jorge, you are ignorant and therefore you speak only from your opinion, not experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon
    What you still fail to address is your lack of courtesy and respect for my time. I am a busy person, too. All I have asked is for a simple answer, and you've still managed to evade it; four emails, two telephone calls, and a forum thread later.

I would question me, too, but only if I was the first to report it. Your behavior is becoming a pattern, it seems.

Again, for the ninth time, when do you plan on returning my portfolio?
    You admit your portfolio was received 9 weeks ago, which puts you at within 3 weeks of receiving your portfolio back, which is when our Sept. issue will be going to print. Please do not think of this as a bad experience, it is my fault this return date was not made clear inside of the magazine...

What can I do to rectify the situation? It is impossible until the 25 of July to make it to my other office (storage office) and to the post office. If you would like to take this private, my e-mail address is david@focusmag.info

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

You don't have time to go to the post office, yet you have time to write multiple page excuses for why you never answered his e-mails or returned his photos? Come on, give me a break...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Floodgates? Tell that to the photographers who have sold over $10,000 worth of work or the photographers who have gotten representation from Fine Art Photography Galleries in New York City -- AIPAD member galleries. Jorge, you are ignorant and therefore you speak only from your opinion, not experience.
    LOL...... I doubt this all came about from your rag...... funny though, once Michael did not fall for your con the troubles started, I would say you would be a great used car salesman, but I dont want to insult them....

Mr. Gordon also sent USPS material, in which we need to make a trip to the post office to mail. If Mr. Gordon would have sent UPS or FedEx, we would be able to make a call and have his work picked up within the day.
    I have no horse in this race, but I just want to point out that the USPS offers FREE carrier pickup service for Express Mail and Priority Mail shipments. They will pickup at any business or residence. You can pay online (or use stamps or metered postage if they were provided), print a shipping label and request a free carrier pickup for the next day, or any day up to three months in advance. It takes about 30 seconds to do so on their web site. Full details here.

For busy folks, it really is a great service. I rarely wait in line at the post office anymore (the exception being international shipments with insurance over $100 - for some reason you can purchase additional insurance for domestic shipments online, but not for international shipments). The USPS also supplies free boxes, envelopes, etc. Each carrier has advantages and disadvantages, but you might want to check out the USPS web site to see if their services can possibly save you both time and money. At the very least, you can take advantage of their carrier pickup service for returning items that were submitted with USPS return materials.

Kerry

I find that idea that you would pay a magazine (or even give them free use) to be published to get "exposure" outrageous. Last that I remember, when Time or GEO magazine uses my images I am paid more than when Ocala Magazine or Berkeley Express does, yet the "exposure" from the former mags looks a bit better than from the latters.