Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antelope Canyon in November...

Re: Antelope Canyon in November...

Thanks Ryan. I'll bear in mind the point about the photography tour, although outside the tourist season different conditions may well apply. Certainly sounds like Antelope is worth seeing though, even as late as November.

Thanks again for the useful advice everyone. It's all much appreciated!

Best times are May / September, the sun getting lower in the horizon in November...but I would try anyway. I went in November and they didn't even open lower antelope...I was friendly to the 'guide' / driver on upper antelope and he let me stay in the the slots for basically as long as I wanted to. Don't bother with a tour. You won't get any light beams, although that isn't necessarily 'the best' anyway...I happen to think the beams are 'overshot' anyway. I would recommend conatacting Jackson Bridges in Page for a photo guided tour. He will take you places you would not find on your own and you will be VERY pleased. Your throughput will increase dramatically, trust me. He knows places, times to be there, etc. I would do this before I spent too much time in Antelope that time of year.

Thanks Scott. Jackson Bridges was mentioned by Robert Hitchman too, so it sounds like it will be worth getting in touch with him. And thanks for the Antelope Canyon tips!

When you're in Page, don't forget to make a quick trip to Horseshoe Bend...about two or three miles or so below the Glen Canyon Dam, on the Colorado River. It's a spectacular overlook...bring a WIDE lens.

Cool Re: Antelope Canyon in November...

You seam to have plenty of feedback on Antelope Canyon which is quite nice. But I want to tell about a place on the way to it from Zion and Bryce. As you travel on US 89 between Kaibab UT. and Page AZ. you'll come to the Paria river. This is about 25 miles west of Page. The Paria drains Bryce Canyon and the Kodachrome Basin, it emptys into the Colorado at Lee's Ferry AZ. Just past the river on 89 there is a right turn, on your right you will see a ranger station for the Paria Wilderness area. Go inside and ask them how to get to the Wire Bend Pass for Buckskin Gulch. It is backup the road the way you came about 5 miles. The Buckskin Gulch is an 18 mi strecth of winding narrows and grottos that runs east west on the AZ/UT border. You can get to the west end of Buckskin from the ranger station but it is a 5 mile hike with nothing of note to photograph along the way. The Wire Bend pass is a 2 ft wide slot about 50ft long. There is a parking lot about a half mile form it's entrance which is at the end of a wash. The pass will take you to the east end of what I consider one of the most amazing places on earth. It is not a color place like Antelope but is it's B&W equivilant.
    Do an internate searh for "Paria Wildernss" you will be able to get all the info you need. You will not be sorry and since your coming so far and will be so near it will be a shame to miss it. Only about 2000 people a year go there so you will probably have it to yourself and November will be a great time for it. It is not an early morning or late evening place. Since it runs east/west the sun has to get up a little before it can lite it up.

Alan Rabe's suggestion regarding Buckskin Gulch is excellent and in the same area you will find Coyote Buttes North and South. The north section is the location of the famous Wave geologic formation. A permit is required and only 20 people per day are allowed in; with 10 permits reserved for walk-in application FOR THE FOLLOWING DAY!

If the northern section of Coyote Buttes is already fully alloted, the southern Coyote Buttes are equally interesting and far less visited, and should not present a problem with permits in November. Permits are available in Nov. from the BLM office in Kanab, Utah.
    I find Coyote Buttes and the Paria Wilderness area far more interesting photographically but that is only my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Charles; 22-Jul-2006 at 06:48.

Thanks guys! Yet more food for thought...

I have been doing a lot of research into the Paria wilderness area and North Coyote Buttes sounds like the place to be but getting the permits may be difficult.

The South CB access road apparently requires not only a 4WD vehicle but a skilled off-road driver too (which I'm not). So I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that getting in touch with Jackson Bridges (assuming he's even available) would pay off big time.

Thanks for all the info, guys! So little time, so many options...

Cool Re: Antelope Canyon in November...

No permit is needed for the Buckskin Gulch nor a 4WD. A couple miles down a maintained dirt road and a short hike to the pass and you're there. It is a perfect spot for a day hike. If you are interested, the U.S. Geological 7.5 minute topographic map is called West Clark Bench Quadrangle. Buckskin Gulch runs across the bottom of it.

I thought you might like to see a little of what is in Buckskin. These are a couple of negative scans I have.

Thanks Alan - it looks great! Will try to check it out if there's any time... problem is, I already have a list long enough to fill several 25 hour days!