Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which fast B&W film for hand held 5x7??

Re: Which fast B&W film for hand held 5x7??

Thanks for the info john! I'll have to dig the bag mag out of the cannibal box and take a closer look. I really excited about usng it again---its on its way back from Richard RItter who cured the ol' gal's ills---
    i'll post a report when it gets here.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    Thanks for the info john! I'll have to dig the bag mag out of the cannibal box and take a closer look. I really excited about usng it again---its on its way back from Richard RItter who cured the ol' gal's ills---
    i'll post a report when it gets here.
    John,

I have a 5x7 bagmag but I can't figure out how it works. Do you know if there are instructions available (on the web?) for them?

Peter

It's pretty easy. I've got a plate mag (with film adapters) and film mag for my 5x7" Press Graflex.

Load the film in the septums and put the septums in the mag so that the open end of the septums is away from the bag. The darkslide works like it does on a normal filmholder.

Try this in the light without film in the mag to see how it works--

There is a rod on the bottom of the bag mag for pulling the septum with the exposed sheet into the leather bag. Pull it out, and the septum will go most of the way into the bag. Feel through the bag and ease the septum the rest of the way out and tilt it to slip it into the back of the stack. It's that simple. There are thin slots at either end of the stack, so you won't accidentally remove the wrong septum or put it in the wrong place.

One attraction of bag mags over Grafmatics, aside from holding more film, is that the exposed sheets are on top of the stack for removal via the back door, so if you don't shoot the whole mag, you don't have to remove the whole stack to get to the sheets that are ready for processing.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    It's pretty easy. I've got a plate mag (with film adapters) and film mag for my 5x7" Press Graflex.

Load the film in the septums and put the septums in the mag so that the open end of the septums is away from the bag. The darkslide works like it does on a normal filmholder.

Try this in the light without film in the mag to see how it works--

There is a rod on the bottom of the bag mag for pulling the septum with the exposed sheet into the leather bag. Pull it out, and the septum will go most of the way into the bag. Feel through the bag and ease the septum the rest of the way out and tilt it to slip it into the back of the stack. It's that simple. There are thin slots at either end of the stack, so you won't accidentally remove the wrong septum or put it in the wrong place.

One attraction of bag mags over Grafmatics, aside from holding more film, is that the exposed sheets are on top of the stack for removal via the back door, so if you don't shoot the whole mag, you don't have to remove the whole stack to get to the sheets that are ready for processing.
    are the 2x3, 3x4 and 5x7 ones as finicky as the 4x5 ones ?
    if i don't put one septum in first and then the "stack" afterwards
    the septums get all jammed up in the box and don't want to go into
    the bag ... maybe i just got the lucky one, kindo of like when i get the dribble-cup
    when at my local take out coffeeshop

just wonderin'

-john

HI John.

I have three 3x4 magazines, and aside from one of them being made with heavier, stiffer leather, which is a little more difficult to manipulate than the others, they all work fine. Once I developed a system to keep track of the film status of the holders, everything has worked like clockwork. Thanks again for the good advice.

Jay

Hi John

A couple of my friends are shooting Linhoff 4x5 hand held using hp5 in Microphen push one stop , as well trix push one stop in d76, both are getting excellent results.
    may be worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    are the 2x3, 3x4 and 5x7 ones as finicky as the 4x5 ones ?
    if i don't put one septum in first and then the "stack" afterwards
    the septums get all jammed up in the box and don't want to go into
    the bag ... maybe i just got the lucky one, kindo of like when i get the dribble-cup
    when at my local take out coffeeshop

just wonderin'

-john
    I usually put about half the stack in first and then the other half.

Mine don't seem too finicky, but the plate mag was a bit stiff when I got it. I disassembled it, cleaned off some verdigris from the brass and copper parts, replaced the cracked darkslide with a modern one cut down to size, and I think I lubricated the channel for the rod with wax. I also patched a thin spot in the leather with some thin scrap leather and Pliobond and made a new leather handle for it.