Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me the worth of these items!!

Please tell me the worth of these items!!

As mentioined in the earlier thread, a colleague of mine wants to sell his 'magic bag' to me. I would like to know how much of magic-power has it got...
    1. A 6x9 Linhof Color, in a very good condition...probably needs a little oiling here and there. He will do that. This is not a bad camera...but not sure it is for me. What interests me is the content other than this -
    1b. Camera comes with 4 to 5 6x9 cassettes, cut film holder, super rolex back 6x7, and a kind-of-viewfinder (I guess, Danny Burk uses this kind of THING) like most SLR cameras have, extra balgen (what is the english word for this)
    2. Nikkor 150/5.6W, in copal 0, linhof plate
    3. Zeiss Opton Tessar, 105/3.5T, linhof plate
    3. Schneider Kreauznach Super Angulon, 65/1:8,recessed plate linhof
    4. Schneider Kreauznach Super Angulon, 47/5.6,recessed plate linhof and MC center filter Schneider
    5 Schneider Kreauznach tele.xenar 180/5.5 linhof plate
    6. Schneider Kreauznach componon 150/5.6 linhof plate

I'm not sure if this camera is for me. I really like ShenHao. But some lenses are too good to resist. I was looking for Nikkor for some time.
    The bag also contains a Leicaflex SL2 and 50mm sumicronR (old, leitz) and an old macro/tele (telyt 20cm with novoflex balgen for focussing, this is fun thing) lense from leica. I have a possibility to get it for about 1500 Euro. I knew none of the items till yesterday except Nikkor lense. Can you tell me if this is the right price.

Lenses are in very good condition, shutter is fine, I have checked myself. He will also add an old Telomar 240mm from zeiss after replacing copal 0 shutter. He was working at leitz for some time, so he knows about the lenses for sure.

PLEASE HELP ME me to make the decision!!!
    Danke Schön!
    Last edited by Prashant; 23-Jun-2006 at 07:00.

Re: Please tell me the worth of these items!!

Well, here is my guess of the value from my experience on ebay.

2. Nikkor 150/5.6W, in copal 0, linhof plate ~ 250 USD + 30 USD for plate
    3. Zeiss Opton Tessar, 105/3.5T, linhof plate - (no idea)
    3. Schneider Kreauznach Super Angulon, 65/1:8,recessed plate linhof ~ 350 USD +30 USD for plate
    4. Schneider Kreauznach Super Angulon, 47/5.6,recessed plate linhof and MC center
    filter Schneider ~ 450 USD for lens + 30 USD for plate + 150 USD for MC C-filter
    5 Schneider Kreauznach tele.xenar 180/5.5 linhof plate ~ 200 USD + 30USD for plate
    6. Schneider Kreauznach componon 150/5.6 linhof plate ~ 150 USD + 30USD for plate

2,2nd 3,4,5,6 = ~ 1600 USD (assuming that the lenses are all in working shutters)

Large packages as this could go lower though compared to selling the lenses individually.
    Please note that I might have been on the lower side in my estimations...sometimes these lenses go much higher ofcourse as people get into the ' win the auction to any price kind of mood'. If bought from a dealer multiply the cost by 2-3 times.
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 23-Jun-2006 at 07:44.

Well, this means I get SL2+50mm Summicron+200mm Telyt+novolflex, and the camera itself with super rolex RF back...
    BTW, there is also 100mm tessar/3.5 CZ lense with plate...

which means it is good deal. Some items I will sale for sure...but otherwise a good deal, or?! (I dont know if the Leica stuff is of any worth really!!)

Frankly I never thought these lense will cost so much...except Nikkor.
    Last edited by Prashant; 23-Jun-2006 at 08:35.

A few additions. The name "Opton" on the Zeiss lens means that it was manufactured for the Eastern Zone when they had to do that to keep copyrights itact between the Eastern and Western Zeiss companies .... not sure of the coverage of this lens.

The value of the Leica gear will depend on its condition,since leica is now a 'cult collector' camera condition means everything in terms of resale value.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The 105mm Zeiss Opton Tessar is a typical Tessar, so coverage should be about 115mm - just enough for minimal movements on 6x9cm. It should be a decent "standard lens". As to value I would guess - up to $100 depending on who wants it and how much. And $30 for the lens board, or perhaps $100 with the lens board. Prices are funny that way.

"The name "Opton" on the Zeiss lens means that it was manufactured for the Eastern Zone"

Some lenses for the 6x6 Rollei SLRs sold by Rollei of America were Opton labeled lenses. Most were the 150mm Sonnar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    A few additions. The name "Opton" on the Zeiss lens means that it was manufactured for the Eastern Zone when they had to do that to keep copyrights itact between the Eastern and Western Zeiss companies .... not sure of the coverage of this lens.
    This is true Ted; however, this came only into effect in the late 1960's, after Jena and Oberkochen had agreed on the use of names. Also, these ones are only labeled "Opton", not Zeiss Opton - the point of the agreement was that in certain markets, only one party could use the Zeiss name. The "Zeiss Opton" name was used by the Oberkochen/Heidenheim plant directly after the war, when they were still (and considered themselves) a subsidiary of Zeiss Jena. This changed only after the East-German Communist regime nationalized Zeiss Jena, in 1948 I think. Since Prashant mentions the "T" labeling, which was used only in the first years after WWII, it is probably from that time period.

Now Bob's Sonnar example leaves me puzzled. Maybe they forgot to change the engraving text for one series?

As an aside, for anybody reading German, the convoluted story of Zeiss East and West from 1945 to 1997 is discussed in great detail, and embedded into the general political context of the times, in the 2002 book by Armin Herrmann: "Und trotzdem Brüder" ("Brothers Nevertheless"), published by the publisher "Piper Verlag".

"Now Bob's Sonnar example leaves me puzzled. Maybe they forgot to change the engraving text for one series?"

We were told that the name had to be used ocassionally so that the trademark would still be valid. This was back in 1972 when I first joined ROA.

I think it all depends on if you want to shoot 6x9 or 4x5. If you want to shoot 4x5 I don't think its worth much unless the body will accept a 4x5 back. If you want to shoot 6x9 its probably a very good deal at the prices other have already given. What format do you want to shoot? Get what you want because its what you want, not just because its a good deal---you're not only investing your money, but also your time. Spend it wisely.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John is right, the guestimated value I mentioned above is for the lens itself and for the format for which it is intended. A schneider super Angulon 47mm will not be useful on 4x5" and even the 65mm SA might barely make it, there are much better 150mm lenses then the componon which is an older enlarger lens, and I do not know many who use a tele-xenar 180mm on 4x5".

However, if you intend to shoot 6x9 I think they will work. It's up to you to decide what you want to use them for and how much effort you intend to spend selling some of them off.
    Last edited by Patrik Roseen; 23-Jun-2006 at 11:42.