Thread: Looking for John Wimberly

Looking for John Wimberly

Does anyone have contact info for John of W2D2 and WdD2+ fame

steve simmons

Michael E. Gordon

Re: Looking for John Wimberly

taken right from his site: tjwimberley@ashlandhome.net

When I do a search on his name I get nothing about his site. What is it?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

here is the site

http://johnwimberleyphotography.com/

there is an ey at the end of his name

thanks for your help

steve simmons

Eric Biggerstaff

http://www.johnwimberleyphotography.com/

That is his site link, his site was designed by Verve Labs in Santa Fe as was mine and there is a link to Johns site from the Verve site.

I sent him a couple of emails several months ago with some questions that he answered but have not contacted him recently.

Hope that helps.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    there is an ey at the end of his name
    Well that makes a difference... doesn't it! :-)

Beverly Hills, California

Steve, share with if there is anything new he has to say about his developer, Wimberley WD2D+.

We are putting together an article on staining developers and inviting Gordon Hutchings, John Wimberley, Jay de Fehr and Sandy King to participate. So far everyone has agreed except Sandy and we hope he will join the group. The purpose of the article is not to compare formulae but to help people better understand what a staining developer is and how they work. This article will be in our Sept/oct 06 issue.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    We are putting together an article on staining developers and inviting Gordon Hutchings, John Wimberley, Jay de Fehr and Sandy King to participate. So far everyone has agreed except Sandy and we hope he will join the group. The purpose of the article is not to compare formulae but to help people better understand what a staining developer is and how they work. This article will be in our Sept/oct 06 issue.

steve simmons

I received the invitation to participate in this discussion while traveling back to South Carolina from Montana (had to cut short a longer trip to Alberta and British Columbia because of a continuing problem with a detached or torn retina), and my first inclination was to decline. However, after further consideration I have decided to accept Steve’s invitation. In spite of some differences of opinion Steve and I share a belief in the value of staining developers and I see this format as an opportunity to contribute to the community with my knowledge in this area. Also, it will be an honor to participate with folks of caliber of Gordon Hutchings and John Wimberleley. They are both persons of considerable achievement from whom I have personally learned a lot. And, they are known not just for their formulas, but more importantly for their image making, teaching and publications.

There is, however, still a need for a very thorough and comprehensive study on pyro staining developers versus non-staining developers, and within the pyro category, a comparison of the various formulae. I have long wanted to do such a study, but constraints of the profession did not afford me the time. However, having recently retired from academia I now have the time and inclination to pursue this study, and now is as good a time as any to announce that intention. I plan to invite at least one more person, and perhaps two or three, to collaborate with me on this study, which will be, to the best of my ability to make it so, sound in its methodology, comprehensive, and transparent.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 27-Jun-2006 at 15:08.

I confess that until today, I didn't know anything about John Wimberley's work, and only associated him with his developer formulae. Having visited his website (linked above), I am reminded simultaneously of pyro's potential advantages in the hands of a master, and of the relative insignificance of developer choice in the grand scheme of things. If we were guided primarily by the work accomplished with a given developer, I think we'd all be using WD2D(+). That being said, there are meaningful differences in the various formulae to be discussed, and in the approaches and goals of their formulators, which should make for an interesting and informative article, to which I'm happy to contribute.

Jay