Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any alternative to a combi plan tank?

Re: Any alternative to a combi plan tank?

Is anyone using the Combi Plan for C-41? I've been using it for black and white and like it much better than tray developing, but I'm not sure if the somewhat long filling/draining time would lead to uneven development with C-41 chemistry. With B&W, I get the tank loaded and then take the lid off to pour the developer in and out with the lights off, but for C-41 I'd need to be in a different, non-dark room in order to have a sink adequate for the temperature control required.

Is there anything else I need to consider? What sort of kit would I need, and how many sheets would I get out it? I haven't done my own C-41 before (with the prices of a minilab for 35mm it's hardly worth the bother), but I scored a pretty big stock of 4x5 C-41 on Craigslist a while ago and it might be more economical, not to mention convenient, to start doing it at home versus sending it out.

It works just fine for C41, E6, B&W or with lith material. Just follow the directions for filling, emptying and agitating.

I am a 4x5 newbie and use the 2521 Jobo kit from Freestyle. I also got the roller base for it which is important. Learning how to load the tank is the toughest part but after that it is like processing small format. There are no leaks and the chemistry used was surprisingly little.

It's easy to suggest this from the UK but Patterson Orbital colour print trays are often on the auction site over here and they are brilliant. Four sheets of 4x5 in 300ml of developer (many use less). The electric base is good but the hand operated base works OK. Then use the Combiplan to wash the developed and fixed film. Never got on with the Combiplan as a developing tank. Perhaps it's me.
    Pete.

If you are concerned about using up your developer, just dilute it. You might even like the results better in some cases if you have never done it before. d76 can be used stock or 1+1 with different times. Xtol can be stock, 1+1, 1+2, and some people even do 1+3! I have great results with 1+1 and 1+2. You can mix up some caffenol-c or other homemade well proven developers as well.

Other chemicals like fixer are reusable so the volume isn't super important.

Another benefit of larger volumes of chemical is they change temp slower if you don't use a water bath. As an analogy, think how much faster 1/2" of coffee or tea cools off in your mug compared to a full serving.

I use a Paterson Orbital. Can only do four sheets at a time (or one 8x10), but I only use about 200 ml of chemistry each batch. Developer I use twice and toss, fix I can use four to five batches. Cheap on the chemical side. I also have the motor base which provide very smooth agitation. Also had to modify the light trap in the lid so as not to scratch the film. Overall I love working with it, it provide very consistent results.

Brian

Brian,
    I use D-76H 1-1 after 2 x 2 minute pre washes and I'm very happy with it. I believe that you need a certain amount of dilution in this type of tank as it reduces the risk of uneven development.
    Works for me,
    Pete.