Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google, page one

Google, page one

So, if you could have your web page show up on the first page of Google, as opposed to where you are now, how much do you think that would change your yearly income?

Thanks

Re: Google, page one

I just googled "food photography" and found your site on page 2--not bad, and a really nice site (spelling errors in the blog notwithstanding).

Page 1--I don't know. I think there's a difference between sites that get on page 1 by paying for it as "sponsored listings" and those that get there by having high-quality static content as you do, that isn't constantly being redesigned, and that gets cross linked on many other sites.

I'm an academic, and I'm not particularly trying to make money with my professional website, which I've had at the same place since about 1992. But still, because it's been there for a long time, and some of my articles are cross linked on other sites and show up pretty high on Google searches, I get a good amount of traffic for such a site, and every once in a while, it leads to a new publication or speaking invitation or contact that might not have happened otherwise. Print articles that I've posted on my website are definitely cited more often in other print articles and books than articles I've published and have not put up on my website [note to self: more free content].

I think it's more important to be well networked with lots of little connections--which will at the same time produce a high Google ranking--than just to be on page 1.

I don't know any higher end buyers who would start with Google. But they might do an image search for a particular type of image, in which case using good captions and alt text - in a modern text based website design - would be very helpful.

As for increasing sales, I don't think being Google friendly is so important for a upper end commercial photographer. However it is very important as a networking and credibility tool - usually the second or third step in the qualification/research process your clients will use.

Since it doesn't cost you anything to be Google friendly, why not?

I don't think AdWords makes much sense, unless you are going after something like the local wedding or school portrait market - and even then it is a challenge. But by doing AdWords on a limited amount ($10 per month) Google does seem to "favor" you more ;-)

You guys never answered the question...

What do you mean by "have your web page show up on the first page of Google" ?
    Apart from the Google homepage (you didn't mean that, right ?), this all depends on the search words, and I am pretty sure if one used specific enough terms, *any* page could show up on the first page of search result.

Na, it really depends how many people link and talk about your page and other mysterious factors regarding relevance. Keywords no longer work as well as people think.

I answered your question - judging by your work - ZERO.

(That isn't meant as a dig against your work, which is excellent BTW)

Any small work you gained would be offset by jobs you'd loose from other togs ripping you off and ADs using your shots for reference for their togs.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 9-Jun-2006 at 12:49.

Frank

Where do you appear on Google for a search on your key words? What are your key word phrases?

I no longer bother with keywords at all. What you write for content is what the search engines are looking for. Just write well and leave the content in html... and make online friends. That's what works.

Look at my site and "View Source"

Marko will chime in soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    I no longer bother with keywords at all. What you write for content is what the search engines are looking for. Just write well and leave the content in html... and make online friends. That's what works.
    I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio

Look at my site and "View Source"

Marko will chime in soon...
    Why? I appreciate keywords even less than you do...

You said it yourself - serious clients don't bother searching, they use referrals. Google position has become nothing more than marketing fluff for those who are already established in their respective fields - it's referrals by happy clients that really matter.

That being said, it is nice to have a decent web site to pass on as a reference and showcase.

"Decent" in contemporary terms means standards, accessibility, separation of style, structure and behaviour. The times when sites were meant to dazzle and mesmerize are long gone, web has become mature medium whose purpose is to provide content, reference and service.
    Last edited by Marko; 9-Jun-2006 at 15:26.