Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 film, rep your hood

8x10 film, rep your hood

Out of curiosity what bw film is everyone shooting on and give a brief description of your reasons why and one page of what you did on your summer vacation.

Just curious to see, I'm contemplating ordering some of the Berger 400 to give it a whirl.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: 8x10 film, rep your hood

I shoot Ilford FP4+. Because I like it, and I'm used to it, so I get the results I want from it. It is also slow enough that I don't always need a shutter, which can be a goot thing when the lenses are more than 90 years old. Yet fast enough to get a decent exposure at the fastest shutter speed on reasonably fast lenses.

I shoot lots of other films too, including Agfa APX 100 as long as my stock lasts.

I haven't had my summer vacation yet, unless you count a quick factory tour at Ilford...

Ilford HP5 Plus, because it's reasonably fast, has a friendly characteristic curve, is forgiving in exposure and development, is manufactured to a consistently high standard of quality, and can be obtained in lots and lots and lots of other formats, so I can use the same film for the great majority of my sheet film snapshooting.

Vacation? What's that?

After initially shooting TMX for awhile (I originally got into LF with 4x5, and TMX was available in Readyloads), I now shoot mostly HP5+ due to its increased speed and exposure latitude. As I now mostly shoot 8x10, grain is not an issue, even when drum scanning.

I've just picked up my 8x10 today and will most likely be shooting FP4 with it. That's what I shoot with in 5x7 and 4x5. So, I'm relatively familiar with how it responds.

As for holidays... none taken yet but soon!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Several films. Black and white favorites include Efke 25 and 100 for 8x10, and Acros 100 for 4x5 in many cases. For more speed, HP5, for mid-speed and different looks - TXP320@160. All can exhibit a wide variety of tones/looks with development options.

Vacation, what's that?

Kodak Tmax 400 in 8x10. Outstanding reciprocity characteristics, very long straight line curve, can be developed in Pyrocat HD to a high enough density to contact print on the "New" Canadian grade 2 Azo.

I use TMY for it's tonality, speed, good reciprocity characteristics, awesome expansion & contraction capabilities, and quality control. It's expensive, but worth it to me. It does anything I ask of it, as long as I am consistent.

I use Efke PL100. I don't have a shutter on my most used lens and the speed seems the best compromise. I use Efke, rather than some other similar speed film, because I find it gives good tonality, expansion and contraction with Pyrocat HD. Also, the film comes in 4x5 and 2x3, so I can use the same film in my other cameras - I had to learn only one exposure and processing procedure.
    juan

Lately I'm shooting mostly Efke/Adox PL100, TXP, J&C Classic 400 (which is probably the same as Bergger 400--both from the Forte plant), and I've still got some old TXT, EKP, and a little SXX in the freezer that I use occasionally.

This summer I'm off to Moloka'i, Hawai'i to catch up on some writing projects, and I'll have a 4x5" camera with me.