Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 X 7 Toyo ??????

Re: 5 X 7 Toyo ??????

Don,
    A few years back, Midwest Photo had a Toyo 5x7 monorail. My memory may be faulty, but I think the camera was kind of a cream color.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre_941
    Someone recently provided this link to "Map Camera" in Japan for an actual new Toyo G 5x7 monorail for sale for appx 2,800 US.
    Wow! That's a lot of scratch! :>|

Out of curiosity... is there something that makes these cameras THAT desirable? Surely, it's not based on a "collector's value," is it?

And, here, I thought the price for a new 5x7/4x5 Dorff was high!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Wow! That's a lot of scratch! :>|

Out of curiosity... is there something that makes these cameras THAT desirable? Surely, it's not based on a "collector's value," is it?

And, here, I thought the price for a new 5x7/4x5 Dorff was high!

Cheers
    Have you priced a new 5x7 Linhof or ARCA-Swiss monorail lately? The Toyo is, relatively speaking, a bargain at that price.

I have seen exactly two of them in the last year. One was at Map Camera, and the other was at another used camera store in Tokyo, it was either Shinbashi Camera or Ohba Camera, can't remember which one. If I remember correctly even used they were not cheap, at least 1500USD. Next time I go back to Tokyo, I will take a look.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith
    I have seen exactly two of them in the last year. One was at Map Camera, and the other was at another used camera store in Tokyo, it was either Shinbashi Camera or Ohba Camera, can't remember which one.
    There's nothing currently in either the web or print (6/06 Nippon Camera) listings of either Map or Ohba.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 4-Jun-2006 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad
    There's nothing currently in either the web or print (6/06 Nippon Camera) listings of either Map or Ohba.

That does not surprise me in the least. Both of those stores(most used stores here in fact), dont list everything on the webpages, nor are thier updates very regular. They usually have alot more more things in stock that are never listed. I am heading to Tokyo in a couple of weeks anyway, I will look around and see what I can find.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Smith; 4-Jun-2006 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad
    Have you priced a new 5x7 Linhof or ARCA-Swiss monorail lately? The Toyo is, relatively speaking, a bargain at that price.
    Hi Oren,

Have to admit... no, I've not. But, from working at camera stores back 20 years ago () I've always known Linhof and Arca Swiss to be very expensive. But, I've not followed their prices of late.

So, it seems I'm just a wee bit out of step with the pricing these days.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I own a 5x7 monorail. It's a great camera. The field camera was originally designed by Toyo to accept a 5x7 back; hence the size of the rear standard. Before I bought my monorail, I called Toyo's service department and asked if it was possible to get the back for the field camera. Now I don't know how accurate this is; but the gentleman I had on the phone informed me that before any of the 5x7 backs actually went into production, somebody upstairs decided the larger back wouldn't be profitable and they never produced it. Therefore, as a field camera, if what he told me is accurate, the 5x7 is truly a mythological beast. The 57G, on the other hand, is what I own and there is nothing mythological about it. The 20" monorail is a bit of PITA, though, since all the monorail carrying cases are designed around an 18" or shorter rail.

The 57G takes the same lensboards as all of the other Toyo monorails and the 810M (which I also own). I have a 4x5 back for the 57G, but haven't put it to use, since I haven't shot any 4x5.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves
    The 57G, on the other hand, is what I own and there is nothing mythological about it.
    A living, breathing 57G owner! This probably calls for some kind of special prize...

A prize? How about one of those 420 Apos they were discussing in another thread? One in a Copal #3 would be nice.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!