Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

Hello large format friends -

Sometimes I've pursued the ways of Wile E. Coyote, always trying to get the Road Runner somehow, be it with helicopters, odd cameras, car mounts or this time, mules! I'm at it again, and looking for some help...

As the snow is melting enough to allow the use of trails again ( soon at least ), it would be nice to get some serious gear up into the woods. While scouting last year, we met some outfitters who were willing to transport people and their gear up into the John Muir wilderness starting from the Lake Sabrina area high above Bishop, CA. They had friendly enough horses and mules that didn't seem too ornery.

If we can put together at least a few brave souls, it should be possible to create a group that can be "photographers only", or at least photographers plus people who know how to, and expect to, put up with photographers and their needs. If enough people can go, they will provide a cook as well as the usual wranglers. I'm considering an overnight trip, however even a day trip really early might be fun.

I'm not thinking of a workshop, or any kind of situation where I make money from participants. While certainly, a small amount of help between everyone might be available, there won't be any formal teachers or anything like that. I also can't take responsibility for people falling off mules or whatever - basically, I just wish to aggregate enough similarly interested folks who can put this together. I would like to arrange it so that if someone wants a photo, and perhaps even is willing to just stay somewhere while others move around the area, that could be done. In other words, getting some good photos should be considered to be important.

So - a bit of self-reliance, tolerance to higher altitudes, desire to make images, and willingness to get along with four legged critters are good.

If there are enough people who are serious about doing it - we'll get it done. Think of it - crisp clean alpine skies, streams, woods; no cars, no paved roads, no motorized vehicles; large format cameras - and nature to be had.

My team of two is definitely into doing this pretty soon here, so if anyone is interested, please let me know.

Now...back to your regular channel...

Re: Horse and Mule Pack Trip from Sabrina to John Muir - interested?

Ed,

It's a very tempting idea. What is the date in your mind? Overnight camping? Cost?

Thanks.

Hi Ed, I am interested, could you give me some idea date and cost.

I will send each of you a private email if you don't mind, so that we can discuss the details. It seems that posting for the whole Internet is not approprate for security reasons.

Okay, Hugo - you can't accept emails, so I can't send you one. Send me an email for more details. Anyone else, feel free to email me on this subject, ok?

When we have enough people agreed on the plan, I'll post here to say that this trip is booked.
    Last edited by Ed K.; 2-Jun-2006 at 21:07.

Update - June 3 2006

Okay - while nothing is certain, enough people have expressed tentative interest, and I have received a few emails. Instead of replying to everyone immediately, I will now make the necessary telephone calls to nail down the options. By Monday or Tuesday, I'll have the options. From there, I'll send out an email to those who have responded. I'll have a couple of general date ranges in mind, and a pretty full plan. This will make it easier to figure out who can or cannot do it.

Anyone else is free to write, and when you do, please tell me your available date ranges for June-July, along with your preference for a one day, an overnight, or longer. Also please let me know whether weekdays are possible or is you are up for a weekend only. This will help when I make tentative arrangements on Monday. I'm going to try to find the options that allow the optimal setup for all ( can't promise it ) - so your schedule window is important.

Stay tuned.

I'm confident that you realize, Ed, that those of us who can't participate in this excellent adventure will expect full photographic documentation of the trek, along with a summary of any horse tales told around any camp fire.

If it's whiskey for the men, and beer for the horses, what do the mules drink?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker
    If it's whiskey for the men, and beer for the horses, what do the mules drink?
    Ralph,

Too funny! The mules will be the smart ones drinking water since they're also going to be the ones doing all the work.. hauling all that gear!

Ed,

It sounds like a fascinating trip! Have fun!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

As a follow up to my initial reply, am pretty open as to date, duration and can do weekdays. Thanks

Update

I have created an information site that has most every question answered that I can answer at this time. It will be updated during the week as more information comes in on specifics and as more people give me their input. I have proposed some initial date ranges and plans plus options and other information.

Everyone who emailed me should have received the link to it. If you did not, please email me again, ok? I noticed two messages that LFinfo told me about that were not in my LF inbox, so these were apparently lost somehow.

Now you other guys who can't come - I'm sure the mules will drink water, and I'm sure not giving them any beer! I do hope that we can have some snapshots together or perhaps a grand LF group shot with all the cameras. There is also an alternate mini-conference plan idea in the mix, where some of those who cannot do the high elevations might attend. I think it would be great to get a huge group portrait of "turn of the century" LF people and thier rigs!

As to campfire stories, who knows, but I sure hope that we don't rerun that scene from Blazing Saddles with the beans around the campfire!

And as a precaution, while I'm going to do everything I can to make this happen, it could be canceled at any time up to booking for a variety of reasons beyond my control.

Ok - there it is - a plan has been started, let's take it from there.

Information portal site upated, new information and preminary numbers. Please let me know as soon as you can if you are joining us or what your wishes are. A few specifics from you are needed at this time to get the final pricing and dates. Thanks much. The portal site will be updated nearly daily until finalized. Please check there as I won't post here about it after this. If you haven't received the portal site address or have not heard from me, please email me again. If just a few can afford the time and money - we're probably good to go.