Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to use a black mat for B&W photograph?

When to use a black mat for B&W photograph?

Here is another one related to framing Black and White Photographs.
    I have been using only light (white) standard mats for framing my Black and white prints.
    I am curious about using dark (black) mats for my prints but would like some advice what kind of prints are best displayed in these...? And does it matter what type of photograph is printed, e.g. a portrait of someone who passed away, i.e. does the black mat bring some kind of social signals to the viewer? Any thoughts around this is appreciated. Thanks, Patrik.

Re: When to use a black mat for B&W photograph?

Patrick -

I my opinion, there are two considerations involved here. One is aesthetic - what looks best. In general, I think black and white prints look best on white mats, but that's very much a matter of personal taste, and I'm not about to make any pronouncements about absolute truth in this area.

The second is convenience - stocking one kind of matt board surely makes life simpler for the photographer.

As a result of those two views, I almost always use white mat board with my black and white prints. The one exception is if I am hand coloring the image - when I hand color, I selectively add pastel colors in only a few portions of the image, and I think using a black mat helps enhance the color effect.

Two things- with high key images (for example, snow-scapes, or a still life on a white backround) a black mat helps 'contain' the image. With a white mat the image can seem to bleed away into nothing.
    Secondly, where will the picture be hung? I've just shown some stuff in a local exhibition. It was a huge white space full of photos and paintings framed almost exclusively with (you guessed it) white mats. Black matted images might just have stood out more boldly in that company. Just a thought.

The few times that I've used black mattes have mostly been with high-key images, too.

multiplex

hi patrik

i just finished a project making a hand stitched book.
    most of the images were dark an lots of mid tones.
    the prints were all trimmed and "tipped" on black rag and stitched between
    covers.

if i had used white mats, the images wouldn't have looked as nice. the dark mats brought out all the brooding mid-tones.

i don't use black mats often, but when i do, i always wonder why i don't use them more often.

-john

I recently completed a series of architectural studies in the Greek Isles. A couple of these were abstracts that encompassed a full range of tones, but had large areas of very light gray and black running right out to the edge. They look pretty good on a white mat, but then I tried them on black and was impressed with the drama. The glossy black of the print contrasts enough with the flat black of the mat to avoid a total merge of the two. I suggest laying the print on a black board and see what it does for you.
    Last edited by Robert A. Zeichner; 27-May-2006 at 16:42.

Don't overlook light gray for matting. Try some variations until you find one that goes with your paper and print tone, you might like it.

I think black or any other colored mat calls attention to itself and tends to distract a viewer from the photograph. For that reason I never use anything other than white mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen
    I am curious about using dark (black) mats for my prints but would like some advice what kind of prints are best displayed in these...?
    None. I agree with Brian.

Patrik,

I think it's a matter of personal opinion and tastes. The perfect mat is the one you like and that will compliment your image. I'd also suggest... lay your image down and frame it with the mat(s) you're considering. Then, decide on what version suits your print.

But, I've not heard of any hard and fast rules in this regard though.

Secondly, it will also depend on what you're doing with the print. Are you hanging it in a gallery? If so, the gallery will certainly provide you with some insight into what their expectations are.

Personally speaking, I'm with Brian and Oren on this one. I've only ever used white mats for my images.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!