It's been a while since this topic was last raised so I thought I'd see what new insights there are to be had out there. I would like to self publish a small (9x9in, about 60 pages of photos, a page or two of print), softbound, short run (1000 books), b&w book of about the quality usually seen in books published by Aperture, i.e., not the high end 600-line work of Salto used by Michael A. Smith, but not the weak-toned, uncoated-stock end of the scale either. I am assuming (without any real experience) that print-on-demand will not give me the quality and consistency that I want although I would love to be wrong on this because of the convenience of the process for short runs and obviated storage problems. Anyone have suggestions for a printer, preferably on the east coast, that has experience with this type of book? I assume that I would need at least a duotone to match the typical Aperture book quality. In fact, I would like to know how to characterize the Aperture-quality book in terms of screen size, paper, ink gloss, varnish, etc. Also, any estimates of how much it would cost?