Thread: Large Format photographers in Albany/Capital Region, NY State?

Large Format photographers in Albany/Capital Region, NY State?

Any other large format photographers in the area (Albany/Capital Region, NY State)? I'm hoping to connect for possible critique group. Thanks!

CJ Jordan
    www.jordanphoto.com
    www.digitalartistspace.com

Beverly Hills, California

Re: Large Format photographers in Albany/Capital Region, NY State?

CJ I enjoyed browsing your web site. I hail from Schenectady, but live in L.A. I believe the Albany Pharmacy shot is of a bldging I use to attend high school in, Christian Brothers Academy.

I just wanted to supply a tip, there seems something a little askance about your Mainstreet, Beacon NY Bldg. shot and possibly your Albany Medical Science bldg. Shot. I may be wrong.

Did you use superwide lenses for these perspectives? As Norm McGrath in his archtectural book which is a must-have, with these superwide lenses, you should usually be normal to the subject plane to avoid the 'ship Keel' effect - whereby the close corner of your bldg resembles the front of a ship.

In the Albany shot, you may have been better off with backing up and using a slightly longer focal length.

Anyway, nice web site.

Chris -

Yes, there are a few more LF users in the Capital district, but we are a very small minority.

The most active photography group in the area is the Schenectady Photographic Society. I've been a member for a lot of years (I heard your presentation there a few months ago), and while I give it a lot of credit for not just remaining viable, but actually getting much stronger over the years, the fact is that SPS appeals to the lowest common demoninators in photographic interest. That's fine - that's what it has to do to keep going. But that also means that it doesn't necessarily meet the needs of those of us who are more interested in the image than in the technology.

Several years ago, a small group from SPS tried to get an informal discussion group started - we would meet in homes periodically to share recent work with each other. Unfortunately, we were never able to build enough momentum to get over the problem of erratic scheduling caused by business travel commitments.

I would definitely be interested in both an informal discussion/critique group (perhaps meet at a Starbucks somewhere) and also a group of folks with shared interests in large format who occasionally go in search of images together.

(I'm located in Saratoga Springs - but close enough to the Northway that anywhere in the Capital District is convenient).

Louie

Chris,
    I live in the Finger Lakes region of the state and traveling to the Albany area wouldn't be a problem for me. Keep me posted, I'm new to large format and still learning everyday.

4x5 Chamonix in Saratoga Springs! Anyone still there?

I'm still here (also Saratoga Springs).