Thread: Hey from Alexandria, VA

Hey from Alexandria, VA

I have been peeking at this forum for a few years, usually when I am looking for some particular scrap of info. I don't know why, but I decided that today was the day to become more interactive.

I have been involved with large format photography for nearly 20 years, I have built my own cameras to meet specific photographic needs ( a 4x10 for a mural project is an example). My fondness for a particular camera ebbs and flows, currently I use an Arca Swiss, last year it was a Linhof Kardan. However, the bodies may come and go, but I hang on to my lenses, my favorite being an epic Kodak 12" in a #5 shutter.

I must confess that I don't shoot LF as much as I want to, my professional work has gone digital, and I spend most of my time shooting pixels instead of film, but I really hope to change that in the short order.

My current project is bringing an ancient 5x7 Omega E2 back to life, and working on printing out 7x17 inch digital negatives to print palladium.

I hope to visit you all in the threads....

Britt

Re: Hey from Alexandria, VA

Welcome to the LF Forum, Britt.

Welcome to another newbie/former lurker.

At first, I thought it was just me -- but I've been seeing this more and more. Does anyone know what it is that caused so many of us finally to join? What is it about the new format that's so inviting?

Bob,
    Since the new format meant i had to log on and undertake a little admin stuff with Ralph I figured i might as well sign on 'for real' and start participating. However, being such a novice LF photographer I'll probably stay pretty much in the background and let the 'pros' do most of the posting. That being said i think the more i post the more i'm inclined to get involved.
    pete

oops... welcome Britt!
    sorry for not acknowledging you in that last post.
    (...this is like setting up an 810 for the first time - so many things to remember.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Skerys
    "... being such a novice LF photographer I'll probably stay pretty much in the background and let the 'pros' do most of the posting. That being said i think the more i post the more i'm inclined to get involved.
    Pete, I'm a novice to LF, too. Been shooting 4x5 for about a year now.

Still... I find it interesting that so many other new people have joined since the format change. I don't know what the numbers are but there's definitely a non-linear increase in membership.

Eric Biggerstaff

Welcome and hope you have fun.