Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COPPA Compliance: Your Action Needed.

Re: COPPA Compliance: Your Action Needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre_941
    I am concerned about identity theft. So when you click on my name, you'll learn that I am in fact over a century old.
    You can actually choose to conceil your age & date of birth with your user profile settings. It's towards the top under 'Edit Options'.

"If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act."

I've already provided my real date of birth, so this question is just out of curiousity. Which of these things do we think we're doing? This isn't a commercial Web site and it's not an on-line service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children. Do we have actual knowledge that we are collecting personal information from children? I've seen childish behavior, but who among us is really a child?

The catch is this:

...or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children,
    Probably we don't have kids here, though there have been posts in the past where the user was obviously young--does that count as 'actaul knowledge'? Beats me, but I'm no lawyer. The only way to have "actual knowledge" that we don't have personal info from children here is if we refuse them registration (or manaully review everyone's user profiles periodically to see what info is there). It was the path of least resistence.

The way this part of COPPA has been interpreted so far is that if you collect *any* personal information (including really basic stuff like a name and e-mail address) you're required to take steps to ensure that children are present only with parental permission and supervision -- by providing a COPPA notice, text specifically barring children under 13 from joining under their own information (requiring a parent or guardian to register for them), and requiring a user statement of age.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Talking Re: COPPA Compliance: Your Action Needed.

I am concerned about identity theft. So when you click on my name, you'll learn that I am in fact over a century old.
    I was laughing so much that my secretary just came by and administered the heimlick maneuver. Thanks!

You sure don't look it. At least you'll be able to answer some of those difficult LF questions for those of us who don't remember much before 1935.

Cheers,
    Clarence

I've been a-tryin' but every time I enter my birthday it gets kicked back as "Invalid Birthday" I think I'm going to be in therapy a looooong time because of this :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook
    Yes, it's USA only. I actaually never heard of it myself, but it's a point of vulnerability for us, so we decided to take the route of least resistence. From that web site I mentioned:

I believe it stems partly from over-zealous marketers gathering data on children without knowledge or permission and panic over child predators online. It's smacks of one of those election year feel-good laws--looks great to the voters but causes more problems than it really solves.
    yes and personally i feel that these things should be communicated with canadian government so us canadians can be educated so we don't break these laws that apparently effect us as well.