Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Epson V750 Scanner

Re: Epson V750 Scanner

OK, I have hooked up the V700 to a Macbook with 2GB of RAM and it just did a scan just fine using the Epson software. Since the differences between the two scanners are rather small as far as I can see I see no reason at all why the 750 will not also work with the latest Mac hardware. Stills cratching my head as to where that info came from.

Resolution and Dmax tests to follow shortly.

The article on the V700, with comments on the V750 as well, will be in the next issue of View Camera. It is a follow-up to the article in the current issue as the V700 got to me too late to test for that article.

We have now completed our main tests and it appears as though the V700 offers some slight improvements over the 4990 in some ways and none in others. The major resolution gains are only available when you are scanning at 6400 spi which gives you a very large file when scanning 4x5 or larger film so it is of little value to many LF photographers. When scanning at 3200 or lower the resolution is actually not quite as good as that of the 4990. The Dmax is the same as that of the 4990.

The coated optics of the V750 may improve performance very slightly but I can't imagine it will be enough to make major changes to the results we got with the V700.

More details, of course, in the article.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 18-Jun-2006 at 20:44.

Hi Ted
    Would be very nice to get a short form of your review also on this site. I'm from Switzerland and have not really a chance to buy VC!

Hi Armin,

I will happily post in more detail as soon as I can. Right now I am in West Virginia and don't have all my files with me. And ohhhhh how I wish I were in Nyon without my files rather than here <smile>.

As an aside, you may have noticed I have now joined you and others using high end flatbeds. I am now the proud owner of a Screen Cezanne and will have it in full service in another month (moving studio and house).

Thanks Ted in advance for your review and I wish you a good move!

One additional note, I have been running time test after time test and this seems to be a slow scanner. I have been scanning the same 4x5 transparency using Epson Scan and Silverfast SE, 3200 spi, 48bit color and consistantly am gettingtimes in the 20-23 minute range unsing both my G5 and MacBook. I have discussed resuults with one other tester who alos confirmed "slow" scans without giving times. I hace reported this to Epson with all the particulars of my methods to see if there is anything that I can or should change.

Anyon else hace any time results?

Hi Ted -

Here is another data point to add to your survey. This is on a mid-range PC with a 750 and I don't have any other options on since you didn't mention them.

4x5 transparency
    EpsonScan
    3200 ppi
    48bit color
    Full crop of Epson's OEM 4x5 holder
    5:44 from push of scan button until it was opened and ready to edit in Photoshop.

Doug

Ted,

ICE on or off? I gave up on ICE with the 4870 except in rare cases because of unacceptably long scan times. I'm with Doug for typical 4x5 scan times with no scanner post-processing. Seems odd that it would be that long.

Ted and I have been comparing scan times. On a 4990 in Silverfast from desktop to desktop was 5 minutes, with Epsonscan 4 minutes all on a highend PC with 4GB of RAM. To PS from the plugin 24 minutes! No Ice on any of them. It seemed odd to me that the new scanners would be such a step backwards in scan time. Any theories as to what is going on?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

My Epson 4870 refurb connected by firewire on a 2000 Pismo G3 500mhz Powerbook (OS 9.2.2) with 384MB RAM, virtual memory off, 100MB assigned to EpsonScan---a 4800spi, 48bit full frame 35mm neg takes 6 minutes resulting in a 160MB tiff file. Just a straight Auto exposure scan, no other image manipulation.

Sorry I don't have any 4x5 film to scan, though I could do a 4x6 print if interested.

One thing confounds me about EpsonScan is it won't use the full 100MB assigned according to the About Computer memory usage dialog box no matter the size of the file.

Flakey Epson software, maybe? Beats me.