Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double-Exposing Deliberately

Double-Exposing Deliberately

Re: Double-Exposing Deliberately

The technique a\can be very "artsy". I don't usually "get" them.

In architectural photography, there is a technique where an exterior view is exposed in the in pre dawn darkness with the interior lights on. The camera is not moved. As the sky brightens a second exposure is made to show the exterior and surroundings in ambient morning light.

I have wanted to do something like that with the full moon rising over a local lake.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Tin Can

Yeah . . .I still don't "gt" the double image thing.

The one in heels is mannequin, right?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Double exposure has been there since the beginning of photography. As always starting by accident then used extensively by the "Avant garde", Bauhaus, Dada movements and so on.
    Some of the most striking were Moholy-nagy, Moi Ver, Man Ray, Germaine Krull, Ilse Bing and many more.
    It's all about geometry, contrast, blending to make one from two exposures and it's fascinating. Depending on the distance you look at the print you see different things. Up close or far away and always being surprised by something that you didn't see previously.
    In 1995 I was in NY for a short trip and when i came back in Paris I developed my film. On the last 120 roll I just had one image made of 12 exposures. I was so pissed, almost put it to the trash but left it to hang. Everytime I was going to the darkroom I was looking at that mess. Then one day I decide to print it just to see if... And I was blown away.
    After that my obsession was how to make a system of it, how to control what would be a double exposure (not 12 !)
    I ended up working with Polaroid 55 or 665 to get an instant negative to see on location. Understand how I could push the limits.
    For few years I was working exclusively on double exposures.
    Here are a few pictures of Berlin (1999) and Moscow (2000) where I was looking for ghosts from WW2.
    SInce then from time to time when I see one I do it again because I love it. Last pic being shot in Long Beach in 2017 on 4x5TXP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zuili Moscow 02.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	239663

Name:	Zuili Moscow 03.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	239664

Name:	Zuili Berlin 02.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	239665

Name:	Zuili Berlin 04.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	239666

Name:	003 Zuili Windows.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	239667

I try to be political

Shoot me
    Tin Can

Yes a life size Doll, very cheap from China

I now have 2, one will be sawn in half for a true 'sitter'

I find them handy to setup LF portraits, heads, to toes

BTW she is not wearing shoes in the 2X

But now has sandels, pearls and new dress

They need better wigs, they are money

Few know that Barbie Dolls were modeled on old German Tavern Dolls, sold to the drunk to take home

Now collector items

no I don't have any

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Yeah . . .I still don't "gt" the double image thing.

The one in heels is mannequin, right?
    Tin Can

A lot more to do than simple double exposures.

Elle Schuster shot with Sinar gear and did complex Studio sets that required up to 35(yes, the number is correct) exposures. Lit pieces and parts separately, one at a time to build to the final image. All on one sheet of film.

Did it so well that she was asked to do a calendar using the complex setups. Catch was that it was assumed the images were done digitally in Photoshop.

The group who wanted to hire her were astonished when she told them it was all done on film, planned and shot on a single sheet.

She did add she would be glad to shoot it on digital as "I'm taking a Photoshop class this month and can do it after I finish".

Her earlier original work on film is still more impressive than the digital images.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Elle Schuster shot with Sinar gear and did complex Studio sets that required up to 35(yes, the number is correct) exposures. Lit pieces and parts separately, one at a time to build to the final image. All on one sheet of film.

Did it so well that she was asked to do a calendar using the complex setups. Catch was that it was assumed the images were done digitally in Photoshop.

The group who wanted to hire her were astonished when she told them it was all done on film, planned and shot on a single sheet.

She did add she would be glad to shoot it on digital as "I'm taking a Photoshop class this month and can do it after I finish".

Her earlier original work on film is still more impressive than the digital images.
    Very interesting! Is there a way to see her work online? A quick search didn’t reveal anything….

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

True. Christophe Le Devehat does some amazing exposures with sometime 200 shots on film. It becomes pointillisme.
    We just did an exhibition together and was amazed by his series. Just crazy when you dive into the prints. That very bad jpeg doesn't do justice to his print.

Name:	IMG_2735.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	239707