Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar P vs P2

Sinar P vs P2

Could someone with experience with both Sinar P and P2 let me know if P2 specs justify the price difference, please. From what I have read the main difference is improved DOF mechanism and no need for clamping the gears. Have I missed anything? Thank you in advance!

Re: Sinar P vs P2

P2 fixed a mistake

P has a Dual Function swivel that fails

I sold mine for a very low price long ago
    Tin Can

Thank you. And what is your view on other functionality- DOF, clamps? do you use the camera for studio only or outdoors as well? How cumbersome is it for outdoor use?

It’s cumbersome for outdoor use. Better stick close to the car or have a cart of some kind, especially 8x10.

Drew Wiley

P's of both varieties are quite bulky and heavy if you are contemplating field or travel usage. That fact also necessitates an especially solid tripod or studio stand support. Since P2's are the newer variety, they're going to cost more. But in 4X5, there was also a late X version with just a few less features, but more affordable.

And it’s common to find an X rear standard paired with a P2 front standard. A Sinar F allows you to use all your lenses and accessories with a much lighter and more portable camera. While the Sinar P is/was a godsend for those of us shooting in studio, you really don’t generally need that level of precision in the field.

Thank you all very much for the replies. I need camera mainly for the studio or indoor photography, with occasional location shots (4x5). I want to buy something robust, so I don't have to shop around again in a few years. So after researching I shortlisted Toyo 45GII and Sinar P/ P2. It looks like Sinar is in a different league from Toyo. Weight- and size-wise there is not much difference between them. So after Tin's explanation about P2 vs P, I am leaning towards P2. I hope I am making the right choice, as indeed it is heavy and I will need a new tripod. The field camera (Intrepid- I know not the best) didn't work for me, focusing was a pain in a studio. So wish me luck!

Drew Wiley

The P system is more about geared controls. Almost any Sinar camera except the early F+ will hold up for decades in a studio. And components are largely interchangeable and abundant, another plus for the Sinar system. The weak link with a heavy P camera will be the tripod head itself. You should look into one of their own tilting heads. Avoid ballheads ("wobble heads") like the bubonic plague.

I've used various Sinar components : F2, P2, original Norma system.

Yeah, I prefer my P2 to my P1, but both are excellent cameras. Make sure the gearing is smooth and easy on what ever you buy. If you don't need geared movements, than a Norma is a great choice.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The P system is more about geared controls. Almost any Sinar camera except the early F+ will hold up for decades in a studio. And components are largely interchangeable and abundant, another plus for the Sinar system. The weak link with a heavy P camera will be the tripod head itself. You should look into one of their own tilting heads. Avoid ballheads ("wobble heads") like the bubonic plague.

I've used various Sinar components : F2, P2, original Norma system.
    Thank you for the hint, I am not a fan of ballheads but didn't even think that my current tripod head may not be a good fit. Will look into Sinar ones. Thanks!