Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Camera Support: Tripod(s), Hydraulic Lift Table or Manual Crank Table

Mammoth Camera Support: Tripod(s), Hydraulic Lift Table or Manual Crank Table

Greetings,

I hope all are well

Sorry to ask this but I'm kind of lost on how to support a mammoth camera.
    May I ask what would be the best way to support a 50 pound camera that has bellows extension of 1400-1500mm?

I need some sort of system that I can raise and lower the camera on my own, though, setting up would understandably still require an assistant.
    As I plan to do studio portraits with the RA4 direct positive reversal process I won't need to move the camera around very much.

Would others be able to help recommend or guide me to a system or setup that will work?

Would a hydraulic lift table work? How would I vertically angle the camera? Perhaps an additional smaller lift mechanisms would work (see photos attached)
    Would two of these manual 150lb capacity crank tables work? I like this possible setup as I can raise and lower the front and back so I can get angled studio portraits.

I don't have a lot of money right now, so any solution that is cheap and cheerful is best!

Thanks so much for reading this!
    Be well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lift-table.jpg   41orEfz8HEL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg   41GnErxcc3L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg  

Re: Mammoth Camera Support: Tripod(s), Hydraulic Lift Table or Manual Crank Table

Years ago a friend needed an adjustable studio stand with specs similar to yours. He found a vintage Deardorff 11x14 studio camera bi-post (commercial?) stand a few states over. Packing and shipping it was out of the question so he rented a large moving van and went on one major "road trip".
    Good Luck

Re: Mammoth Camera Support: Tripod(s), Hydraulic Lift Table or Manual Crank Table

I have and use the big 11X14 Deardorff Comercial camera and stand

It is huge, but not a Mammath

I also have tried the # 2&3 in your pics, the bench is nice, but... The jack is a jack

I made a cart to my spec last year, it even has a hitch

I use it for many cameras, including the "Howitser"

and now setting up a another rare camera, I will reveal when is if fixed by me from shipping damage

Mod 7 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

by the way, I bought all wood cut to size and delivered cheaply from USA, eBay

This is 11X14

11X14 Senaca 1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

3HEEL! copy by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Tin Can

That pair of yellow scissors jack dolly looks good for around the studio. . . . maybe I just like yellow.

The rick-shaw cart looks to be a good idea for easy outside terrain. Should be able to go anywhere wheelchair will go. Is there a way to stbalize it with adjustable legs?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    That pair of yellow scissors jack dolly looks good for around the studio. . . . maybe I just like yellow.

The rick-shaw cart looks to be a good idea for easy outside terrain. Should be able to go anywhere wheelchair will go. Is there a way to stbalize it with adjustable legs?
    Tin Can

Look in DIY

Many years ago a LFPF member made a very simple stand

He used round wood dowels with many holes in the table sides

It could change angle easily

Also many use an adjustable stool

We have a famous member who used a Mamouth camera sitting on a side table
    Tin Can

A 1950s television camera stand would be perfect. Something electric/hydraulic. LOL

Drew Wiley

Serious hydraulic scissor lifts are kinda overkill - more in the ton category. You might find an old one affordably at a used warehouse equipment dealer. But the inexpensive ones (under $1000 new) aren't as stable or level. And you'd have to be darn careful where your hands and feet are. And that light T-support system you show - I wouldn't trust that to hold a ripe banana securely! Just like with ladders and tripods, "dead weight" ratings in pounds of load does not equate to holding something that weight actually stable.

Sometimes there simply no substitute for a real junk yard, especially of the military and industrial surplus kind.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I'm torn between tripods and something like a lift table.

I'm hoping two Majestic tripods will do the trick as I have been offered some heavy duty ones.
    But logistically it sounds hard.

Thanks for all the photos and advice.

If anyone has an affordable efficient solution that's attainable that is better than Majestic tripods, I'm listening

Thanks!
    Be well