Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paterson grain focuser?

Paterson grain focuser?

I have what looks like a cheap Paterson grain focuser that I tried using yesterday but can only see white light when looking through it. I adjusted the viewfinder so that the bar running through it is sharp but no luck, could I be doing something wrong or is this thing possibly broken?

Re: Paterson grain focuser?

It is often best to stop the lens down some in aperture so you don't blind yourself.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Part of the practice of using these devices is to find a part of your projected image where there is a meeting of shadow and highlight areas. It's much easier to focus if you are looking at an area where there is detail, as in tree branches against the sky. If you just look at an area of a broad tone like a sky, or deep shadow, you'll have trouble.

I use 3 different Focusers, and still it is tough for my bad eyes

I use all 3, then...

Eureka never
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Part of the practice of using these devices is to find a part of your projected image where there is a meeting of shadow and highlight areas. It's much easier to focus if you are looking at an area where there is detail, as in tree branches against the sky. If you just look at an area of a broad tone like a sky, or deep shadow, you'll have trouble.
    Mark's dead-on. First you have to have a negative in the enlarger, and you need to look at a spot where there is density. The edge of something is perfect -- even the edge of the negative frame will work. It also helps if you are using a high grain film. In addition, make sure the mirror is in the center of the image -- the light has to be aligned.

I have used a different one in the past and the grain immediately popped out, super easy?? When I put it over what I think is a dense area still just white light.

Have you checked the mirror to make sure it is set correctly? If you are reading a dark area, it should be dark. Do you visually focus the image on the baseboard first?

Yes I pre focus then try the focuser, I wouldn’t know what to look for with the mirror setup

Quote Originally Posted by Maross396 View Post
    Yes I pre focus then try the focuser, I wouldn’t know what to look for with the mirror setup
    I assume you rack focus the image while looking through the magnifier. Even slightly out of focus grain might not appear at that magnification. It will pop into focus as you slowly move the lens. It shouldn't matter where in the image you are looking, there is grain throughout.

If your focuser looks like this, there is a mirror at the top of the column at a 45° angle held in by glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ptfocusfix.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	239309

Is it there?