Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JB Weld Tested

Re: JB Weld Tested

Lens Pairs for Twin Lens Norma so far by Nokton48, on Flickr

Like a car in an auto body shop, Norma Lens Boards with dozens of holes in some of them, can be plugged with JBWELD and planed and cleaned, the back side dotted with flat black Krylon aerosol paint. The front of the board gets spotted with Benjamin Moore paint I had color matched with a Norma board in the store. Looks pretty good in my opinion. Schneider Norma Twin lens camera pairs shown here. From upper left: 150mm f5.6 Componons, 210mm f5.6 Componons, 240mm f5.6 Componons. From bottom left: 180mm f4.5 Xenars, 240mm f5.6 Sinar Symmars, 300mm f5.6 Componons. This gives me a full range of lenses from 150mm to 300mm with the twin lens cameras.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Makiflex 150mm F9 Apo Ronar 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the back side of my 150mm F9 Apo Ronar (no flange!!), glued using JBWeld to a Durst Recessed Enlarging Board, then on to a Makiflex Board. JB Weld is great for these "Frankencamera" projects.

It's only Six Dollars a package. WHY NOT TRY IT and then report? Sheesh it's useful! LOL
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Would JB Weld work with a plastic handle on my microwave. The place on one end where it screws to the machine broke and there's no handles available to replace anymore. Do you just stick it or mold it or both?
    JB Weld is a two-part epoxy, so it will flow, similar to cold honey. It can be sanded, drilled or tapped when cured. It would be best if you completely remove the handle so it can be clamped together at the break (if broken into two parts). If part is missing, make a form with blue tape. The Kwik Steel I used is grey when cured. It will probably be harder and less brittle than the original plastic of the handle.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Would JB Weld work with a plastic handle on my microwave. The place on one end where it screws to the machine broke and there's no handles available to replace anymore. Do you just stick it or mold it or both?
    Unless there’s something very special about your microwave, they can be replaced at very low cost.

Drew Wiley

There are hundreds of kinds of epoxy. The nice thing about JB Weld is that it's medium viscosity, and you can find it almost anywhere. But I need a thicker epoxy to fix a chipped off section of a front concrete step tomorrow; so I'll use PC7. I always keep several types of epoxy on hand. Super-glues are more limited in what they can do. That optical engineer I referred to earlier told me a story how they made their own Cyanoacrylate glue at NASA before there was a commercial version. So nobody really knew what it was. They'd go to a co-worker with a little squeeze tube of it, and say, Hey, feel this new lubricant! - squirt a little on his index finger, and naturally the fellow would start rubbing his fingers together, and they'd get stuck. That apparently caused a howl of laughter while he ambled away to the nursing station for a delicate bit of razor blade work between his fingers. Our tax dollars at work. Just be glad nobody tried that stunt aboard an Apollo craft or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There are hundreds of kinds of epoxy. The nice thing about JB Weld is that it's medium viscosity, and you can find it almost anywhere. But I need a thicker epoxy to fix a chipped off section of a front concrete step tomorrow; so I'll use PC7. I always keep several types of epoxy on hand. Super-glues are more limited in what they can do. That optical engineer I referred to earlier told me a story how they made their own Cyanoacrylate glue at NASA before there was a commercial version. So nobody really knew what it was. They'd go to a co-worker with a little squeeze tube of it, and say, Hey, feel this new lubricant! - squirt a little on his index finger, and naturally the fellow would start rubbing his fingers together, and they'd get stuck. That apparently caused a howl of laughter while he ambled away to the nursing station for a delicate bit of razor blade work between his fingers. Our tax dollars at work. Just be glad nobody tried that stunt aboard an Apollo craft or something like that.
    Great story! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Unless there’s something very special about your microwave, they can be replaced at very low cost.
    Replacement handles are no longer available anywhere for my 13 year old GE Profile built-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Space engineer.

https://s2.dmcdn.net/v/QbmqF1VtFlXEUKrVz/x720

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Replacement handles are no longer available anywhere for my 13 year old GE Profile built-in.
    When I wrote “they” I meant replacing the microwave, not the handle.

In your case, replacing will definitely be more expensive than replacing a countertop model.

I may know exactly which handle you’re suffering. I replaced my parent’s GE microwave handle 3 times. Really bad engineering and the last replacement must have been a low-quality knock-off. Getting rid of that microwave was a blessing, even though everything worked well except the handle!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    JB Weld repairs Mamiya Paramender YAY by Nokton48, on Flickr

The other day I bought this Mamiya TLR original Paramender, from Gary himself at World of Photography. I really like his new store, it has a very funky vibe, and it's loaded to the gills. Took this unit home, and darnit, the metal is super loose and floppy, but the original screws are stii there! Examined it carefully and JBWeld to the rescue AGAIN. I pried the rail up, so I could smooth JBWeld with the flat end of a toothpick, smearing on a thick coat. Took both screws out of the rail, they are completely stripped out, smeared JB Weld on the threads thickly, then jammed the screws in and make sure I have a good hold. Wrapped both ends of the rail tightly, using blue masking tape. 24 hours later, it's good as new and works smoothly. In camera stores, we used to say this was "huffed". But now fixed and these are going over a hundred bucks on Ebay. Actually I like the patina, This will work great with my fave C2 Mamiyaflex, I also have a much cleaner Paramender to go on my C22's and C33's. The Paramender was stickered at $10 so a nice find.

You can do ANYTHING with JBWeld if you put on your thinking cap.

I also bought a 30mm Sony Nex Macro lens for my new to me Sony Nex 7. Works good eh? Autofocuses to 1"
    Small world, I visited the new WOP store a couple weeks back. Definitely a great experience for film camera buffs. I have an old "Billingham" branded wooden tripod that was given to me because it has a short crack on the metal (probably pop metal) piece that holds all the legs and center column. Was thinking about sanding the area down and giving JB Weld a go on it. Sound like it would be worth it.