Thread: First post, help needed please.

First post, help needed please.

Well hello fellow photographers, I have been a medium format photographer for 45 years now. Have quite serious a collection of Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, Zeiss Super Ikonta folders and even a Kodak Medalist, do all of my own black and white developing and printing.
    So here is the problem, I saw a Silvestri H camera with two lenses and a load of accessories for sale in Europe in December, I just could not resist the purchase. She came with 6x9 backs it can do 4x5 but I do not want to go there, too old now. I took interior images and was blown away with the systems quality and results. So two weeks ago we went away and I tested her outside for the first time. Yesterday I developed three rolls of 120 film the images with the sun behind are excellent but when the sun was overhead or even close to in front I have serious flare on the Schneider APO-SYMMAR 5.6/150 lens, a real surprise since I would have expected it from the Schneider SUPER-ANGELON XL 5.6/58 lense……….so I obviously need a lens hood for each of these. I do not want to buy an expensive bellow type, so I though of the old Hoya collapsing rubber lens hoods. The two lenses are using 58mm and 67mm filters, Now B&H sells these collapsing rubber hoods but I have a strong feeling they are not going to work, since the 58mm is one wide angle lens.
    So could someone please point me in the right direction please, as I am in a totally new area of this craft.
    Cheers for now,
    James.

Re: First post, help needed please.

If you can find a reliable way to attach a flexible arm to your camera and a large stiff card to the free end, you can position it to block the sun no matter how much shift you use or which lens you use. ( example: Dinkum Systems lens shade)

A possible limitation is that you probably won't be able to block multiple bright light sources.

Both Cokin and Lee Filters used to sell a bellows hood that used different adapters to fit different lens threads. A quick search didn't turn up any.

Good luck,
    jeff

The Cokin and Lee Filters were very similar to the SILVESTRI Adjustable Compendium Bellows Lens Hood. 67mm, 77mm, 86mm Lens Mount for sale by IgorCamera ($170) on ebay.

Well thank you both for your knowledge here. I have just bought the Igorcamera bellows you recommend Jeff. Her “INDOORS” the wife is going to kill me if she finds out about this.
    There is definitely an increased intellectual level in this jump up from Hasselblad use but the lack of wires and batteries makes it so worthwhile……I will be back again for more help chaps. Thank you so very much.
    Cheers,
    James.
    GA USA.

I got one of those dinkum lens shade Jeff mentioned. I bought it because it takes up very little space. I bought the compact one that connects to a hot shoe...https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...m_Compact.html

I am not positive that I understand your quandary - but if you are just in need of wide angle lens hoods, some years back I purchased a couple very nice aluminum lens hoods thru B&H (I believe) though I just looked for them and the brand I purchased doesn't seem to be in their inventory any longer. The brand was "Asian" labeled "Wide Angle Lens Hood" and I got one in 67mm and one in 82mm. B&H does have a "Sensei Pro" brand, both in rubber and in aluminum and they are quite affordable.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Agree with Randy!

Many ways to make or buy 'Hoods' try ebay

I use 2 plastic hoods on TLR

In studio I use a bent wire that can hold up a Dark Cloth or folded Foam Core

I even sold the "Wire" exactly like Calumet 8X10 suppied with camera

Same thing on my Studio Linhof

Video people also have acomadation, AKA Masks
    Tin Can

If most of the photos show flare without direct sun on the lens I would check the bellows for pinholes before blaming the lens. Put a bright flash light in the camera, and close off the ground glass with a film holder and inspect in the dark for light escaping. Maybe there's a pin hole or two on the top since the overhead shots are affected.

Also look through the lens at a bright lamp and see if you see haze or fungus hiding in the lens.