Thread: Does blix pop the Stearman Press SP-445 and SP-8x10 tank lids?

Question Does blix pop the Stearman Press SP-445 and SP-8x10 tank lids?

I have a few specific questions about developing 4x5 E6 at home with the Stearman Press tanks:

1. When do you process E6 chemistry with the Stearman Press SP-445 and SP-8x10 does the blix pop the tank lid?

2. If does pop the lid what adjustments do you have to make adjustments while developing to prevent that?

3. How does the ease of use and the evenness of results these tanks for E6 compare to the B's 4x5 reel and 20th Century Camera 4x5 reel in your experience?

4. Have you found an agitation routine that reliably reduces contrast?

Re: Does blix pop the Stearman Press SP-445 and SP-8x10 tank lids?

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    I have a few specific questions about developing 4x5 E6 at home with the Stearman Press tanks:

1. When do you process E6 chemistry with the Stearman Press SP-445 and SP-8x10 does the blix pop the tank lid?

2. If does pop the lid what adjustments do you have to make adjustments while developing to prevent that?

3. How does the ease of use and the evenness of results these tanks for E6 compare to the B's 4x5 reel and 20th Century Camera 4x5 reel in your experience?

4. Have you found an agitation routine that reliably reduces contrast?
    The SP-8x10 is not air-tight, so pressure doesn't build up with agitating the chemistry. And the SP-445 has a venting cap that can be opened to prevent pressure build-up. So neither pops the tank lid. I haven't used the ones you mentioned, but I have no complaints about the evenness of results for E6, and both are easy to use. With very thin film like Rollei IR (not E6) I've had film slip out of the SP-445 holders. The SP-8x10 is easier to load; you just lay the film flat in the tray. One advantage of both the 445 and 8x10 is that they require less chemistry (~475ml) than other daylight tanks I've used. I haven't experimented with agitation and contrast.
    my flickr page: Jeff Wingard

Re: Does blix pop the Stearman Press SP-445 and SP-8x10 tank lids?

Quote Originally Posted by JefW View Post
    The SP-8x10 is not air-tight, so pressure doesn't build up with agitating the chemistry. And the SP-445 has a venting cap that can be opened to prevent pressure build-up. So neither pops the tank lid. I haven't used the ones you mentioned, but I have no complaints about the evenness of results for E6, and both are easy to use. With very thin film like Rollei IR (not E6) I've had film slip out of the SP-445 holders. The SP-8x10 is easier to load; you just lay the film flat in the tray. One advantage of both the 445 and 8x10 is that they require less chemistry (~475ml) than other daylight tanks I've used. I haven't experimented with agitation and contrast.
    Thanks, Jeff!