Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinar P2 / P3 compatibility?

Drew Wiley

Re: Sinar P2 / P3 compatibility?

Nice to know. Tapered bellows are nicer to work with than box bellows, and seem more internal-flare-resistant. I certainly prefer my original tapered Norma bellows, which can be interchangeably used on a F2 or P2 if one owns the tapered version. My hunch why Sinar switched to box bellows was that they were much more cost-effective to make in volume, and then simply cut down per length. But I have a Horseman long box bellows which fits Sinar too, and doesn't sag enough to warrant the intermediate standard Sinar might at especially long extensions using their box bellow. The Horseman will resist sagging out to 28 inches of extension, suitable for a 600 mm lens, while the tapered Norma 4X5 bellows will easily handle a 450 lens. But all that interchangeability is one reason to stick with the classic Sinar choices, rather than the later P3. Spares and components abound on the used marke. Once something gets highly specialized, like a P3, you're back to high prices and expensive repairs again.

Thanks all.

Damn, hard to know what to do, perhaps an F2 is a better choice.

Can you also put film holders for much smaller film sizes on these cameras, like 6x7, for the purposes of testing and experimentation?

Drew Wiley

These Sinar cameras accept roll film holder too : 6X7, 6X9, and 6X12. I sometimes use the Horsesman 6X9 ones. There is also a rather bulky Sinar Vario roll film holder.

Just an additional piece of info. Sinar told me that they can upgrade my X to P3 gearing which is more precise for €1800 and include a full CLA.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    Just an additional piece of info. Sinar told me that they can upgrade my X to P3 gearing which is more precise for €1800 and include a full CLA.
    I believe that is the "df" digital focus upgrade. I have something in the works for the Sinar rear standard that I hope will be ready for sale in 6 months. The prototype has been ready for some time. I am working with a manufacturer who is readying another product. Once that is done to my satisfaction, I will start with the fine focus module.

Kumar

Impressive project!

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I believe that is the "df" digital focus upgrade. I have something in the works for the Sinar rear standard that I hope will be ready for sale in 6 months. The prototype has been ready for some time. I am working with a manufacturer who is readying another product. Once that is done to my satisfaction, I will start with the fine focus module.

Kumar
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post

Kumar
    Will be interested if it is less expensive (much much less...:-)) than what Sinar Germany wants for it.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post
    Will be interested if it is less expensive (much much less...:-)) than what Sinar Germany wants for it.
    I will post on the forum, as well as privately to you, Peter.

Kumar