Thread: Wista 45VX, Linhof Super Technika V or Linhof Master Technika

Wista 45VX, Linhof Super Technika V or Linhof Master Technika

I'm looking for help in making a purchase decision. I know that the final decision will be based on my own needs / wants but just after general advice re the above cameras.

I have narrowed down to 3 cameras, Wista 45VX, Linhof Super Technika V or Linhof Master Technika. The Wista is described as in excellent condition and looks to have very little use.
    The Master Technika is described as immaculate and this looks virtually unused. The Super Technika looks in excellent condition for age and has had new Linhof bellows fitted recently and comes with a 6x7 roll film
    back, 3 rangefinder cams, original presentation case and a cold shoe mounted viewfinder (75mm to 360mm).

The Wista is obviously the cheapest by a fair margin but I'm being drawn to the Master Technika because it looks immaculate and is described by the seller as having no corrosion, all movements are buttery smooth. Bellows are light tight and the plastic gearing track for rise and fall is unmarked with no missing teeth. I'm awaiting a serial no. so that I can try and find out its age. There are no rangefinder cams, however!

I understand that Wista parts are hard to come by and Linhof increasingly so, but what are the main things that might need replacing on Linhofs aside from the bellows?

If money were no object, which camera would you buy and why?

Re: Wista 45VX, Linhof Super Technika V or Linhof Master Technika

I am sure you already bought one of the 3 cameras in your post, but if money was no object, I would spend it on an Arca Swiss F Metric C 4x5 with Orbix Micrometric Tilt camera. But it's not a Press Camera style camera.

Re: Wista 45VX, Linhof Super Technika V or Linhof Master Technika

I have previously owned Linhof Technikas (a III, a IV and a V) and currently own a Wista 45N and 45D camera. The Linhofs are very nice but have their limitations with short lenses. The Wistas are at least as good as a Technika, are better to use with short lenses, and are a fraction of the cost. The Wista 45VX and 45SP have front swing which makes them a bit more desirable than the 45N and 45D but front swing isn't a frequently used movement.

The 45D and 45SP have interchangeable bellows, and bag bellows are available. I have one and it's not terribly useful, allowing only slightly more movement with a 90mm lens than the standard bellows: not enough for architectural work, for instance.