Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing the differences of diffusion control with Verito rear element

Re: Testing the differences of diffusion control with Verito rear element

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    There is something going on with these early Wolly lenses that hasn't been explored enough... or I've missed that conversation. Example: I snagged an early (1906?) Wolly Portrait A (6x8), and removed rear, reversed the front to rear (as suggested by some texts in an old catalog), and it REALLY worked! A once so-so lens turned around to sing (to my eyes).
    Taking the rear group off of a Wollensack Portrait, and moving the single meniscus front element to the rear creates a Wollaston Landscape lens. There's no magic there -- you end up with a longer focal length, softer, less-corrected lens. Still usable, and the softness is still controlled by the aperture.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/softfocus.htm

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Testing the differences of diffusion control with Verito rear element

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Taking the rear group off of a Wollensack Portrait, and moving the single meniscus front element to the rear creates a Wollaston Landscape lens. There's no magic there -- you end up with a longer focal length, softer, less-corrected lens. Still usable, and the softness is still controlled by the aperture.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/softfocus.htm
    The f/5 Wollensak Portrait is a Petzval design, so the front element is a cemented plano-convex achromatic doublet. The Wollaston is a single non-achromatic meniscus.

Achromatic doublets, plano-convex or meniscus, are by far the most common soft focus lens design, though there is a lot of subtle variation in design and results. Using the front cell of a Petzval as a landscape lens, well stopped down for sharpness, was fairly common long before soft focus became fashionable.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."