Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: May/June View Camera

May/June View Camera

In defense to my countrywoman An-My (and of the publisher), I'd say that you might find her work boring, but apparently some in the art world find it interesting.

Terence

May/June View Camera

The rehashing noted in the magazine is not any more tiring than the rehashing here of the magazine's short comings. To quote Mr. Atherton, "it's stale."

Everyone knows the issues (and I agree with most of them, but still read the darn thing anyway). Go discuss it on Steve's website. Or add a post to one of the previous thousand threads on this topic. Does anyone here REALLY think another new thread here will do anything? I beg of you, stop.

Eric Biggerstaff

May/June View Camera

OK, I am one of those who will come in and defend VC. I agree with all of you that there needs to be more quality control, but I still believe in what VC represents and what Steve is trying to do, which is support and promote LF photography. Like most of you , I enjoy a variety of photographic publications and none are without their problems ( even Lenswork, while I often enjoy the work - sometimes I feel like I am being sold something made by Lenswork on every other page).

One thing I will say about VC, if you have an idea for an article - write Steve, describe the idea and ask if you can write it. Chances are if he likes the idea he will ask you to contribute it. It is not the easiest of tasks to write an article and I am sure it is even more difficult to publish a magazine. Most VC contributors I know have a day job and write on the side ( while still trying to get a little time to photograph, work in the darkroom, play with the kiddies and kiss the wife on occasion).

At times I find ALL photographic magazines boring, and at other times I learn a great deal. It all depends on the issue. As I said, I agree that some quality improvements could be made, but if you really believe that there could be articles contributed with some new vision or idea or whatever, then go for it. I am sure VC would be a better publication and ,at worst, you would have a fun time getting to know photographers, getting your ideas published, teaching someone something new and contributing to the greater LF community ( much like this forum does).

Thanks everyone.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Michael E. Gordon

May/June View Camera

...even Lenswork, while I often enjoy the work - sometimes I feel like I am being sold something made by Lenswork on every other page

I'll take LensWork's few pages of advertising per issue over any other publication that drills me page after page month after month with annoying and article-breaking advertisements. LW's advertisements are always in the same place - following Bill Jay's column (and a single two-sided page up front). If you don't like the LW advertisements, simply close the issue after reading Jay's final word. If only it were this simple to avoid ads in other publications......

May/June View Camera

I find that View Camera has about the same percentage of interesting content as the other magazines I read. In some issues I read every article, in some I read none. But over the course of my subscription I have found it to be worthwhile. Its presentation could do with a bit of polish, but that isn't a deal breaker for me.

May/June View Camera

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

This is a topic that has been beaten to death and, frankly, I KNEW I should have passed clicking on it!

Anyway... if I don't like a product, it's simple! I just don't buy it! My money does ALL the talking that's required.

And, if it's THAT horrendously bad... I might even send the company a note or email them concerning the issue.

But, posting it on here isn't something I'd personally do.

That's just me!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

May/June View Camera

I generally enjoy VC, but I find it to be much more hit or miss than other magazines. I am not at all impressed with the photography in this issue, something that happens all too often with VC. I have to agree with most of Doug's points, although I do like the reviews of the scanners. That An-My Le photography was not at all to my liking. I did not get it one bit.

I totally agree with Michael Gordon on Lenswork. It is by far my favorite magazine. Very well written, engaging and the photography is excellent far more often than it is mediocre. A superb periodical. And far, far less advertising that VC.

May/June View Camera

Steve's going to be surprised that I'm standing up for him, but here goes:

The last time I saw a copy of View Camera magazine (1997), I thought it was pretty good!

Best,

Christopher Nisperos,
    Paris

May/June View Camera

Maybe Steve should just do like Inked/Focus magazine and charge people for getting published in it? I've heard they charge $1500 to publish your work....

May/June View Camera

I disagree with most of Doug's points.

I thought the An-My Le article was engaging and the photos were different. I liked the story behind why she shoots what she does.

I'm not going to go spouting out why I like ViewCamera, but it is one of the magazines that I look forward to getting in the mail, I look forward to the articles. I also like to get LensWork, but it is much more expensive and the articles aren't as long, covers more than largeformat work too.

I do think that people who do not want the magazine should just not get it, getting on an online forum and trashing the magazine is poor form and frankly overdone on this forum, get over it. You could always just read Steve's competition instead.

I would really like to see an article on somebody using speed or crown graphics as press cameras, I have seen and read the articles on modifying the cameras for field cameras, but haven't seen any on using it as they were intended, handheld.