Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon Nikkor 90/4.5 vs 90/8

Drew Wiley

Re: Nikon Nikkor 90/4.5 vs 90/8

In only have experience with the 4.5 version. It's big; but the brighter viewing was beneficial for interior architectural shoots, especially if a center filter was in place. It's an optically excellent lens with a deservedly high reputation.

Jeffery Dale Welker

I have and love both 4.5 and 8 lenses. For indoor architectural low light circumstances, as described by Drew, the 4.5 comes in very handy. Otherwise, the 8 can handle just about everything else. Both are very sharp, have nice contrast, and the 8 has the benefit of not being an oversized and overweight wide angle. I'm glad I have both.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    I have and love both 4.5 and 8 lenses. For indoor architectural low light circumstances, as described by Drew, the 4.5 comes in very handy. Otherwise, the 8 can handle just about everything else. Both are very sharp, have nice contrast, and the 8 has the benefit of not being an oversized and overweight wide angle. I'm glad I have both.
    Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks, everybody.
    I have found a Nikkor-SW 90/8 that I will be trying out.
    If I can live without the 90/4.5, it will go up for sale.

Kind regards,
    Darr

darr, I've never had problems focusing my 90/8 Nikkor-SW in almost 30 years of use. It's a favorite (even if I don't shoot architecture with it any more). I'm sure you'll be happy with that lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    darr, I've never had problems focusing my 90/8 Nikkor-SW in almost 30 years of use. It's a favorite (even if I don't shoot architecture with it any more). I'm sure you'll be happy with that lens!
    Thanks, Mark.
    I appreciate your input.

By way of a general comparison inspired by this thread, I looked at four different 90 mm wide-angle lenses in my lens drawer..

1. The Nikkor 90/8 SW is the best balanced super-wide-angle lens, combining excellent sharpness with a reasonable 67 mm filter size package and adequate coverage for 5 x 7 negatives (235 mm). It's my top choice for 5x7. It's about twice the price of the Fujinon 90/8 NSW and I bought the Nikkor primarily for its compact size with good coverage of 5x7. I prefer 5x7, so a wide field of coverage is important to me.

2. My Fujinon 90/5.6 SWD is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 but is much larger, using 82 mm filters. It has the same coverage as the Nikkor 90/8, 235mm, and is adequate for 5x7. I avoid carrying this lens in the field due to its bulk and weight. I should probably sell it. The Nikkor 90/4.5 also uses 82mm filters and is similarly large.

3. My Fujinon 90/8 NSW is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 and is similarly compact, using 67 mm filters. Coverage is marginal for 5 x 7, at 216 mm image circle. I prefer this lens as an excellent 4x5 general purpose lens as the 90/8 Nikkor is in the 5x7 backpacking outfit. I mostly shoot 5x7, so this lens gets less usage.

4. My Schneider 90/6.8 Angulon is acceptably sharp, quite small, and has coverage more or less adequate for 4 x 5. It works well for a super-light 4x5 backpacking kit but I would choose it only where small size and weight are critical.
    Last edited by Joseph Kashi; 15-May-2023 at 22:09.

I have owned and used both. Unless there is a need to see better (f/4.5), they perform the same. It's one reason the f/8 is generally more expensive than other slower lenses of the same focal lengths.
    Last edited by Darryl Baird; 16-May-2023 at 07:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    By way of a general comparison inspired by this thread, I looked at four different 90 mm wide-angle lenses in my lens drawer..

1. The Nikkor 90/8 SW is the best balanced super-wide-angle lens, combining excellent sharpness with a reasonable 67 mm filter size package and adequate coverage for 5 x 7 negatives (235 mm). It's my top choice for 5x7. It's about twice the price of the Fujinon 90/8 NSW and I bought the Nikkor primarily for its compact size with good coverage of 5x7. I prefer 5x7, so a wide field of coverage is important to me.

2. My Fujinon 90/5.6 SWD is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 but is much larger, using 82 mm filters. It has the same coverage as the Nikkor 90/8, 235mm, and is adequate for 5x7. I avoid carrying this lens in the field due to its bulk and weight. I should probably sell it. The Nikkor 90/4.5 also uses 82mm filters and is similarly large.

3. My Fujinon 90/8 NSW is nearly a sharp as the Nikkor 90/8 and is similarly compact, using 67 mm filters. Coverage is marginal for 5 x 7, at 216 mm image circle. I prefer this lens as an excellent 4x5 general purpose lens as the 90/8 Nikkor is in the 5x7 backpacking outfit. I mostly shoot 5x7, so this lens gets less usage.

4. My Schneider 90/6.8 Angulon is acceptably sharp, quite small, and has coverage more or less adequate for 4 x 5. It works well for a super-light 4x5 backpacking kit but I would choose it only where small size and weight are critical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    I have owned and used both. Unless there is a need to see better (f/4.5), they perform the same. It's one reason the f/8 is generally more expensive than other slower lenses of the same focal lengths.
    Thank you, guys.
    Much appreciated.

Darr