Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Unicolor Uni Roller 352 Motor Base

Question about Unicolor Uni Roller 352 Motor Base

I found a few posts about this Motor Base, but none of them answer my question:

Does it change direction and if it does, how often? Also, while I'm in the asking mode, I'd appreciate if somebody could compare it to Besseler Motor Base in terms of rotation speed and overall quality. I intend to use it with Jobo Expert drum, either 3006 or 3010.

There are a couple of 352's available on eBay and if they are comparable to Besseler (which I am familiar with but can't find, at least not at a reasonable price), I am going to bid.

Thanks,

Marko,

My experience is that a Unicolor Print Drum will rotate a bit over one revolution, then reverse. A larger diameter drum may or may not make the complete revolution. Your mileage will vary.

BTW - The motor bases are great. Last forever.

You might also consider hand rolling the Jobo on the Jobo $20 roller base. I have used this system with my 3010 for the past year and the results have been flawless and completely repeatable.

Ron,

A question to you, please. Are you doing film or prints? What is your technique as far a drum revolutions?

Are you doing this in daylight (once you load the tank) all the way through to final rinse?

Many thanks!

Eric Biggerstaff

Marko,

I use a Jobo 3010 on a Beseler base and it works great. There always seems to be a few on auction, the condition will be dependent on the previous owner of course. I use the base that does not reverse direction, but have never had any quality problems with my development. The Beseler bases I have had ( I have had two) last for a LONG time and are sturdy.

Good luck!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Marko,
    I flip my tank end for end to reverse direction.
    I had thought about re-wiring the base but its much easier to flip the tank.

lots here

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

and recent thread here that covers some of the points (among lots of others...)

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/505835.html#599761

short answer - works well with the jobo drums you mention - if requiring a bit of dexterity
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Curmudgeon,

Thanks, that was the kind of answer I was hoping for. If only I could trouble you to tell me the diameter of your drum?

Eric,

That's exactly the setup I'm looking to build, but have had no luck finding Besseler motor bases, either on eBay or in used camera stores. I am looking for bi-directional model, used, preferably cheap :-) but in working condition.

I ran across a couple of Unicolors at very decent prices, but since I don't know anything about them other than the fact that some people love them and others hate them, I thought I'd ask those who know.

Once I have that, I'll start looking for the Expert drum. I'm thinking 3006 rather than 3010 since I don't anticipate high volume.

Ron,

I did in fact consider Jobo roller base, almost bought it, but then I realized that I could have a motor base for a very similar amount. Now, I don't shy away from physical work, but I don't quite go looking for it either if I don't have to... :-)

Thank you all for replying.

Regards,

I found that the big expert drum would not turn a full revolution before reversing. I modified my drum by adding some electronics to control the reversal time. Set the time for two revolutions which I understand is what a Jobo processor does. The easy way is to disable the reversing switch and flip the drum by hand every couple turns. Or just try it as-is without a complete turn. Some people say that works OK. Also be careful that the drum doesn't fall off the base. It tends to walk and get unbalanced.

Tim,

Thanks for responding. You probably replied while I was writing my response, so I didn't see it. I read your article, of course, and while it is very informative, it does not say if that particular base reverses or not. I haven't seen the other thread and there is also a wealth of info.

Henry,

I think I'm too lazy for that - I'd rather have the machine do the work and I'll do the thnking. :-)