Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 400mm T or Nikon 360mm T ?

Dave Rowland

Fuji 400mm T or Nikon 360mm T ?

Hi All

I am in the process of trying to choose between the Fuji 400mm f8 T or the Nikon 360mm f8 T ED does anybody here have experience of both ? and I'd welcome any observations on their pro's and con's

Thanks Dave

Re: Fuji 400mm T or Nikon 360mm T ?

I don't have direct experience with either of these lenses. But at the request of Ansel Adams, John Sexton et.al. conducted comparison tests of lenses for contrast, and the Nikon telephotos came out on top. As a result, it's what he uses.

I haven't had occasion to use them yet, but on the basis of his comments in a Sexton workshop that I took, I purchased the 360mm along with the 500mm component. (So, one shutter; two focal lengths.)

Lately, I've seen the Nikon 360 T Ed lens selling for quite reasonable prices.

Saw a comparison my Uncle did some years back. He chose the Nikon, later adding the 500 and 720 elements.
    Said the Nikon gave him more options while both were good lenses.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Much depends on what you already have. If you already have a 250mm or 300mm, I'd go with the Fuji.

You are not giving us much to work with.

What do you want to accomplish?

What do you already have?

I would guess you have a camera with limited extension:
    Nikkor T-ED 360mm f8: flange to focal plane 261mm, IC 210mm @ f22
    Nikkor T-ED 500mm f11: flange to focal plane 350mm, IC 210mm @ f22
    Fujinon T 400mm f8: flange to focal plane 252mm, IC 220mm @ f22

The Fuji would have a slight advantage for close focusing. It is also reported to be slightly lighter than the Nikkor 360mm f9. I have been happy with my Fujinon T 600mm f12 but haven't used it often. I've never seen any strong opinions to pick the Nikkor or the Fujinon over the other. I haven't used the shorter focal length telephotos. The image quality between the two is probably close enough to choose between them using other criteria.

jeff

Huub

I don't have personal experience with the Fujinon T 400mm, but i do have with the Nikon T-ED 360 / 500 mm combination and the Schneider 360mm Tele-Xenar. The Tele-Xenar has the advantage of being a stop faster then it's contenders and also has the shortest flang-focal distance - about 22 cm if i remember correctly. This can have an advantage when close focussing is needed and provides a better balance as less bellows draw is needed when focussing. Remember these are big and heavy lenses, which will strain the front standard on the lighter field camera's.

When it comes to contrast the Nikon has a slightly higher overal contrast, but the Tele-Xenar has a better micro-contrast: it renders fine details in a more pleasant way in my opinion. At the other hand: i doubt many of us will see it in a final print, even when it is 40x50 cm.

I replaced my Tele-Xenar with the Nikon because i wanted to have the option of an even longer lens wiithout having to carry the weight of a Fujinon-T 600mm. So i did put my Nikon in a tophat lensboard and carry the 500mm module as an extra. If needed i change in the field, which doesn't happen that often.

Do or do not. There is no try.

There are two versions of the 400mm Fujinon-T. The earlier one is single-coated, has a 240mm image circle, and weighs about 800 grams; the later version is multi-coated, has a 220mm image circle, and weighs around 630 grams. Both take 67mm filters and their flange focal lengths and quite similar.

These differences don't matter much if you're using 4x5, they might matter on 5x7, depending on your usage.

Nikon says the 360 has a 210mm image circle and weighs a bit more than the heavier Fujinon.

Drew Wiley

I don't personally use teles for LF shooting per se, but have seen plenty of big enlargements done with the 400 Fuji T which affirm its high repute among former users, many of whom were 4X5 Technika shooters.

Dave Rowland

Hi Thanks for all the replies. I thoughtI posted a response yesterday but it didn't seem to show up ? Anyhow I have a Walker Titan SF which has 430mm bellows draw. The front standard is pretty robust so I'm concerned about the weight of either lens on the camera more the lugging it about in the bag. The 400mm appeals as once purchased I won't be looking for a second set of cells to make a 500mm at a bargain price.The 360mm appeals because I can turn it into a 500mm. I can put up with either it really boils down to which is best. It will be pretty much be used for landscapes. Thanks Dave

Eric Woodbury

The Fuji 400T I had didn't seem that sharp, at least my copy. Later, the Nikon 600/800 was quite sharp. All the telephotos are heavy and thus didn't get far from the car. I prefer non-telephotos. If I need a longer shot, I crop. Plenty of negative area.