Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bag for field camera?

Re: Bag for field camera?

I picked up a “last year’s” Mystery Ranch Coulee 40 about a week and a half ago. Only had it out once so far but with a wooden Canham 4x5/5x7 (wrapped in dark cloth), 3 lenses in wraps, 4 film holders, meter, aluminum tripod, couple water bottles, and some minutia it weighed in at about 30lbs but felt like less on my back. I tried the Scree 32 but it was a little too small to also be able to shove a couple hiking essentials into along with the camera gear.

I've posted about this before here and/or over on Photrio, so search if you'd like more details.

I carry my Wista DX plus four lenses and filters along with my some gloves for rock scrambling in a lumbar pack. The pack has a shoulder strap so it's easy to work out of when I unhook the waist belt. I also wear a fly-fishing vest for carrying the meter, loupes, reading and sun glasses, viewing filters, lens shades, cleaning stuff, etc. Six film holders go in a separate pouch along with my exposure record along with another lens. Dark cloth gets strapped on to the lumbar pack. I carry my tripod in a hand most of the time, but can strap it on the pack if I need both hands for scrambling.

The whole set-up weighs in at just 20 pounds, which is really well-distributed so I can feel comfortable on really rough terrain. I've been in slot canyons where I had to crawl to get through place and wade in others. I've climbed places with this kit that I'd be afraid to climb again after having done it. The kit performs well.

I dislike having everything in a backpack that has to be laid down on the ground to work from (that's okay in cities, but not in some of the wet, muddy, salty, sandy places I like to photograph in).

I think there's a photo of my kit in action on my website somewhere.

Just FYI, here's what I carry in the lumbar pack: Wista DX, 90mm Nikkor SW f/8, 135mm Plasmat of some kind, usually mounted on the camera, 203mm Ektar and a 300mm Nikkor M plus two filter wallets with six each of 52 and 67mm filters, rock-climbing gloves and darkcloth. Meter, loupe and other accessories go in pockets in jackets or in my fly-fishing vest.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Which packs?

I mostly use an old Tenba shoulder bag. I can fit my folded Wista 45, up to 3 lenses, loupe, lightmeter, filters and 6 film holder in it. Not something you want to carry all day on your shoulder. Other bag is a Lowepro Nova Sport 35L. A bit smaller and not as rigid and less compartments. Takes the Wista with 1-2 lenses. Bright orange so I don't trip over it.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I've posted about this before here and/or over on Photrio, so search if you'd like more details.

I carry my Wista DX plus four lenses and filters along with my some gloves for rock scrambling in a lumbar pack. The pack has a shoulder strap so it's easy to work out of when I unhook the waist belt. I also wear a fly-fishing vest for carrying the meter, loupes, reading and sun glasses, viewing filters, lens shades, cleaning stuff, etc. Six film holders go in a separate pouch along with my exposure record along with another lens. Dark cloth gets strapped on to the lumbar pack. I carry my tripod in a hand most of the time, but can strap it on the pack if I need both hands for scrambling.

The whole set-up weighs in at just 20 pounds, which is really well-distributed so I can feel comfortable on really rough terrain. I've been in slot canyons where I had to crawl to get through place and wade in others. I've climbed places with this kit that I'd be afraid to climb again after having done it. The kit performs well.

I dislike having everything in a backpack that has to be laid down on the ground to work from (that's okay in cities, but not in some of the wet, muddy, salty, sandy places I like to photograph in).

I think there's a photo of my kit in action on my website somewhere.

Just FYI, here's what I carry in the lumbar pack: Wista DX, 90mm Nikkor SW f/8, 135mm Plasmat of some kind, usually mounted on the camera, 203mm Ektar and a 300mm Nikkor M plus two filter wallets with six each of 52 and 67mm filters, rock-climbing gloves and darkcloth. Meter, loupe and other accessories go in pockets in jackets or in my fly-fishing vest.

Hope this helps,

Doremus
    Thanks, I will do a search! I also have a fishing vest that I never use, so maybe I should locate it for storing accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_jm View Post
    I ordered a Wandrd Prvke 41L bag for my 4x5 field camera setup. Really well made with lots of useful features. For me, the bigger bag is worth the extra carrying capacity.
    I've used it on a few desert hikes with 3 lenses, spot meter, 6-8 holders, dark cloth, etc, etc. The expandable top is really nice as you can stuff a lot of extra things in there. It's easy to strap a sizable tripod or any other gear on the outside.
    Those wandrd bags really do look pretty good, and I like that they池e lightweight - means I can carry a couple more film holders. Do you need the camera cube insert for your gear to be protected, or can you go without?

Pulling the cube insert out means there's no padding on the L/R sides of the interior main compartment, but the top, bottom, front and back still have padding. I've only used it with the cube insert and had plenty of interior room. If you have the camera in a padded wrap it should be OK without the cube and you'd get more interior room. The upper zippered section of the main compartment works good for lenses or film holders, plus you can access it from the top of the bag, which is expandable.
    I also have an f.64 extra large bag for my 8x10 Deardorff. It's a bit of overkill for a 4x5 setup and the external dimensions are larger than the Wandrd bag. The f.64 does the job for 8x10, but it's not as versatile and not as good for longer hikes as the Wandrd. Construction quality of the f.64 is not as good, but it's also a lot cheaper. The external film holder compartments of the f.64 are nice though. I might try to adapt them to the Wandrd bag.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    I just got a Chamonix 45f-1, my first easily portable 4x5, and I知 looking forward to taking it hiking. Wondering what people are using to transport field cameras. I値l have a couple lenses, maybe 10 film holders, light meter, dark cloth, etc. I知 thinking a backpack with a little extra room for a windbreaker/water bottle, whatever, would be good. Is there anything purpose built for this?
    Check out the Atlas packs. https://atlaspacks.com/products/atla...amera-backpack

I have two Adventure packs (2019), one for my 4x5 kit and another that will actually hold my Chamonix 8x10 (inside a Stone Photo padded case or OG case) in the upper compartment that sits above the actual camera and lens compartment. With 4x5, I also have the f64 film holder cases and those can be mounted to the sides of the Atlas pack with the existing side straps. You can also stash one film holder case inside the upper compartment. Most of the photo packs I've owned (F-Stop, Think Tank, Mountainsmith, f64, LowePro, etc) were not really comfortable to carry or heavy as hell empty. Atlas packs are comfortable and carry loads well, even with the 8x10. Ben Horne did a video review here that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFjToaOM16o

CH

I am using the Ruggard Thunderhead 55 from B&H Photovideo for my Crown Graphic 4x5 used as a field camera. It can fit the camera and everything else I might need to carry. 3-6 film holders, a rollfilm holder, 2-3 lenses on boards, light meters, filters, dark cloth... It does not leave much, if any room for hiking supplies though. A couple of water bottles and some snacks. Maybe a small emergency kit. My tripod straps on the outside if I don't want to hand carry it. The shoulder straps and waist belt are generously padded and it carries very comfortably.

The wandrd backpack is pretty nice! I don't really go on LONG hikes with my camera but I've done wagon, and jogging stroller. I was thinking going off-script and getting one of these. My friend is a digital photographer and goes on location and she uses it for her stuff. Works real well for her. Not sure how it will go on trails/rocks though.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Case...tem/5012943213
    --