Thread: Greetings from Rochester, NY

Greetings from Rochester, NY

Hey there, new here.

Have a Chamonix 45n-2 coming soon. Have a Calumet rail system that was gifted to me and I've been inconsistently experimenting with it the past few years. It's too heavy for me to get around, though, with so it just sits in its case.

Anyways, I mostly shoot digital (Fuji X). For 35mm, I only use a Widelux F7. I'm slowing/simplifying my life and as a result of that, my approach and outlook when it comes to making photos. So I sold a bunch of excess camera/photo gear and sprung for the Chamonix. I have a few personal projects that I would love to incorporate 4x5.

Looking forward to seeing what I can learn here and maybe share some of my results.

I'm very cerebral when it comes to making photos, looking at photos, and discussing photos/prints/books. I like to make photos of people and engage with them. It gives me fulfillment to make photos like this and contribute to what will someday hopefully be vernacular photography. Also, chatting/collaborating/sharing with other photographers is right up my alley. I provide prints at a discounted price for local photographers who want their photos printed. And I kind of obsessively like to collect things like photo books, found photos, vinyl records and baseball cards.

Finally, I'm on the hunt for a custom dark cloth. Wanderer has some nice looking cloths but wonder if anyone else has any leads on other places that sell custom cloths. Draw string cloths seem to be what I think I would want, instead of elastic or velcro ends. The cloth I have no has velcro ... and I hate it.

Re: Greetings from Rochester, NY

Welcome. Sounds like you have interests that fit right in here.

Welcome aboard!
    I was born and raised in Rochester, worked for Kodak for 20+ years, but moved away in 2011. Despite EK's decline, there is still a lot of photo action there.
    And don't be afraid to share some photos here!

Thank you both.

Mark, I have lived and worked downtown since 2001. It's good enough here. Lots of people try to make it work here despite the obvious road blocks.

Welcome!

Welcome, Jason. I join others in looking forward to seeing some of your work. My interest is people also. specifically portraiture on location, though I cut my photographic teeth in photojournalistic sorts of work.
    You'll find a wealth of knowledge and assistance here.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Welcome!
    "One of my favorite things about the black and white darkroom is you can come in with a bunch of negatives and leave with a bunch of positives." - Mat Marrash, "The Joy of Printing."

Welcome, I think being in Rochester it's your duty to shoot film and hope you have a good time with it. I've heard Rochester is a good place to find nice analog camera equipment at random Estate Sales etc... but perhaps those days are mostly over now.