Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Photographers, How long does your session last?

Portrait Photographers, How long does your session last?

I am curious about what your process is like.
    How do you conduct a LF portrait shoot differently than one made on a digital camera?

Re: Portrait Photographers, How long does your session last?

I prepare for days in advance

Even use mannequins as stand in's, very handy with a good head, hair and eyes

I set up lighting, have a chair, maybe a head rest

I learned to never mix DIGI with film in the same shoot

We chat first and discuss what we both want

We calm down, me especially

I try to open my door, and done in 20 minutes calmly

Shoot 4 8X10 film max

Then we may have a glass a wine to end session

DIGI is similar, but I fire off 100 shots in the same time

I use Paul C Buff strobes for both
    Tin Can

My LF portraits have mostly been my children. They are certainly more challenging with LF than an adult, but I am happy with the results.
    I generally setup camera, tripod, lights, compose, setup a person or prop for focusing and metering. When I'm convinced I'm ready, I am then ready to start.
    Bribe or convince child to pose, fine tune the focus, shoot a few sheets, and it's all over as kids are good for just a couple minutes of posing if I'm lucky.

For adults/teens I have done digital in some cases to meet their needs for the photo they have in mind and/or warm up and try things. Then finish up with film for creative/experimental purposes. I wouldn't take 100 digital photos just because it's unpleasant to sort through that many; I can probably get as many keepers in 40-50 digital photos.

img523 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

img794 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

img904 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

When I worked as a high-school senior portrait photographer, c.1980, the studio's rule was "5 poses in 5 minutes, or 10 poses in 10 minutes".
    I haven't done commercial portraiture since those days, but when I make a portrait now, it takes a little longer.

I worked as an assistant back in the day and when we did 8x10 portraits with models that costs $$$$ per hour, we literally have everything set up. Lights, meter, camera, lens, film holders. I would sit-in for polaroid shots. I have a bunch of 4x5's and 8x10 of me in weird poses. So basically the model comes in, stylist does their thing, they do the shot in minutes, and out the door.

Previsualization is important. I think with LF, you need to do that, with digital, meh, not really, just keep shooting and eventually you'll get the shot you want.
    --

I rarely shoot posed portraits, and few of those are large format, but here is my methodology. If I am shooting in a studio space, I set everything up and test with an assistant or volunteer first. On location, I arrive early and set up and test before the subject's arrival or calling them over for the session. I always shoot test exposures with a digital camera since Polaroid film is pretty much non-existent today.

The session itself really depends on the purpose of the shoot and the time the subject is willing to give you. It can range from about an hour with some subjects to 10 minutes with someone who shows up pretty much prepared to be on camera (or dogs!). You can take all day with several wardrobe changes and moving around a location, be it an interior like and office or house or outdoors or a combination of both.

Also, I have no idea why everyone insists on shooting digital differently than film. Unless I am shooting action or a fashion shot, there is no need to "machine-gun" hundreds of shots just because you can. You only wind up with the headaches of editing, thoughtless shots and the inevitable compositing of elements of one shot into another. I treat digital pretty much like film. The advantage is I get instant feedback, I can show something right away to the subject(s) to put them at ease but I don't chimp and I don't machine-gun. Besides, shooting unit you get the shot you want inevitably wears out the subject.
    Last edited by Pieter; 4-May-2023 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    When I worked as a high-school senior portrait photographer, c.1980, the studio's rule was "5 poses in 5 minutes, or 10 poses in 10 minutes".
    I haven't done commercial portraiture since those days, but when I make a portrait now, it takes a little longer.
    I worked for Olan Mills in the early 7-'s, five poses in three minutes for a single subject, seven poses in ten minutes for a group. I routinely shot between 500 and 550 portrait sessions a week on the road. I abhor photographing people.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

I should add when shooting DIGI portrait, I ask the sitter to move constantly

And often I fire the shutter faster than strobe recycle

Which adds serendipity and surprising results

HS machine portrait were never LF, or if they were it was a slider with many on one sheet

I have the gear as evidence

I show these as DIGI of sitter combing out her hair at her speed!

A great idea she agreed to, no stopping

Hair by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Erin D750 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I should add when shooting DIGI portrait, I ask the sitter to move constantly

And often I fire the shutter faster than strobe recycle

Which adds serendipity and surprising results

HS machine portrait were never LF, or if they were it was a slider with many on one sheet

I have the gear as evidence

I show these as DIGI of sitter combing out her hair at her speed!

A great idea she agreed to, no stopping

Hair by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Erin D750 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Nice, I LOVE Afro haircuts. Starting to come back. Do you use digital to set up lights before film sessions? Nice looking lady!

One more as Soft Focus 11X14 film

Designed as Homage of Josephine Baker

Different day

A Tribute to Josphene Baker by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can