Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Lens coverage

Enlarger Lens coverage

Hi,
    I've got an old 5x7 DeVere enlarger.
    I have a Rodenstock Rodagon 210 Lens, a Wollensak Raptar 7 1/2", 190 mm Lens, a Rodagon 80mm Lens and a Meopta Meogon 50mm Lens.

I do wet plate 24cm x 24cm (9 1/2 inch) glass negs, 5x4 standard LF film and 6cm x 6cm medium format film.
    My problems are as follows:
    With the wet plate I have the corners cut off by the 210 and 190 lenses. What lens do i need to get those corners covered?
    With 5x4 the maximum image i can make with fully extended head is 50x40cm (19x15"). The baseboard cannot be flipped down.
    I suspect that the largest medium format image i will be able to make will be Tiny.
    The smaller lenses do not focus at all. Maybe they are not enlarger lenses?
    Do i need a different Lens for the medium format?
    Or is this an enlarger strictly dedicated to 5x7? So i have to buy a 5x7 camera?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230502_113822.jpg   IMG_20230502_113751.jpg   IMG_20230502_113813.jpg  

Re: Enlarger Lens coverage

I've got an old 5x7 DeVere enlarger...I do wet plate 24cm x 24cm (9 1/2 inch) glass negs ... I have the corners cut off ...
    Fantastic enlarger!!

However, last time I checked, 9 1/2" was larger than 7"

You need an 8x10 enalrger. Or just use the 5"x7" portion of the glass plate.

The shorter focal length lenses likely need recessed lensboards. You should be able to enlarge medium format negatives to the entire width of the baseboard with the 80mm Rodagon. That is a nice lens BTW, as is the 210mm Rodenstock. The Wollensack should work for 4x5 and the Meopta for 35mm, though I use an 80mm lens for 35mm enlarging so I can get my head in there easier.

If it did not come with the owner's manual, try to track one down. That should answer some of the questions and give guidelines for use.

Do you need to buy a 5x7 camera? Yes...why ask...who is going to say 'No'

80mm is the standard enlarger lens for medium format, but I usually use a135mm for making 8x10 prints, just using the sweet spot of that lens.

To make larger prints of 4x5 negatives you will need shorter focus lenses, say 150 or 135mm. Roll film (square format) is usually enlarged with an 80mm lens. I cannot make out the different focal lengths shown in the first photo, which I suppose shows how to arrange the condenser lenses for various focal lengths. If it shows a setting for 80 or 50mm lenses you should be able to get them to focus. You may need to move the enlarger head up or down to do that. I'm not familiar with this particular enlarger but I've not encountered one that cannot be used for formats smaller than the maximum it can handle. The vignetting you see on your wet plate negatives is most likely because the image is not fully illuminated: both of the image dimensions are larger than the longer of 5x7. To enlarge those you'd need an 8x10 enlarger, which is huge. Or you could scan them and make digital negatives from them of any desired size, and contact print them.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

I had the bit onto which you put the negative holder machine drilled out so my glass plate would fit there instead. The biggest sqauare they could drill out was a 9 1/2 inches square, so that's the size i use. I was very surprised at how small the 5x4 prints are, though. I think i will buy one of those wooden Russian FkD cameras with an industar Lens. ( From the Ukraine, of course, not from Russia). Recessed lense is maybe the answer to the medium format issue. Thanks you very much for your help,
    Mark

Just measure the diagonal of the image/negative and that is the minimum focal length lens you need. There are some exceptions, but this is a good rule of thumb.

Aha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230503_010044.jpg  

So I need a 350mm lens?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230503_010805_2.jpg   IMG_20230503_010745.jpg  

I'm kinda thinking that maybe the hole ( as in, the top end of the lens ) is too small with regards to the size of the glass plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kononczuk View Post
    So I need a 350mm lens?
    Yes or more common is a 360mm lens. But you will also need a 10x10 enlarger. Your current enlarger can only get the 7"x7" square in the middle, so the 210mm should cover even though it is a little shorter than the diagonal of 7x7. I don't have the specs on the Rodenstock 210mm, but the Schnieder Componon-S, at the smallest magnification on the spec sheet ( 20x20 print from 7x7") negative should cover even though the diagonal of 7"x7" is 250mm.