Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Kentucky

Hello from Kentucky

I'm a brand-new photographer in Kentucky, USA. I fell into this hobby (calling?) recently and haven't previously been very involved in any kind of photography, digital or film. Jumping in with both feet I guess.

I recently inherited a Calumet CC-401 (with missing ground glass) from a family friend. I installed a new ground glass and I've collected some of the other necessities. While that was happening, I've been reading a ton about how to use it all. I'm just about ready to take my first few shots.

Equipment:
    Calumet CC-401
    Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6
    Three Legged Thing Winston 2.0

And of course other little bits and pieces to make it all come together.

Nice to join y'all here!

Re: Hello from Kentucky

Welcome. I’m in Kentucky too and happy to help. I’m getting back into LF after some time off.

Welcome Jimmy! Looks like you're off to a good start with your equipment. There is a lot of knowledge on this site, so use the search function to look for answers. You will find LF very fun and rewarding.
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative

Welcome, my first real view camera was a Calumet cc-400. That was in 1976?

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    That was in 1976?
    I was born in 1975. It's nice to have a camera that's older (maybe much older?) than I am. I've read it's a bit hard to date the CC-400s?

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the help in my first thread about getting this camera attached to the tripod.

Hi Jimmy, and welcome. Another Blue Grass user here. This is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable people (of whom I am not, but learning!) Cheers!!

loujon

Hey brother Jimmy Welcome aboard and glad to have you join us! I'm not to far away being I'm at the SW corner of PA. Looking to forward your contributions both in image & thought.Peace!

Jimmy, welcome. You've certainly found the right place to be. Have a ball!

Let me just mention one item that may or may not be an early issue for you, but could be. Those more familiar with this particular camera than recall from my first exposure to it in art college just as the mammals were emerging, can offer more precise advice.

Two planes in the view camera need to be in exactly the same place: the ground surface of the ground glass and the film when the holder is inserted. Otherwise, you can focus the image perfectly on the GG, but the film, slightly back or forward from that plane, may record a slightly out-of-focus image. You wouldn't think this would happen, but it does, for a variety of reasons, and sometimes very thin shims are needed to position the GG precisely. I had this problem myself a few years back.

There are various ways of measuring the location of the plane, depending on your tools and expertise with such things.

Part of the fun of film photography, especially large format, is mastering the variables, bit by bit, to gain facility in the medium that produces the kind of results you really want. It's a wonderful journey! Looking forward to seeing some early results -- I hope you'll post.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Welcome, Jimmy.
    I used Calumet 4x5 cameras on the job in the 1980s. They are rugged workhorses, and yours should serve you well. They were made for many years; earlier models are painted silver and later ones are black, otherwise they are identical.
    Please show us some pictures, when you have some you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    the ground surface of the ground glass and the film when the holder is inserted
    You know, this occurred to me as I reading about focusing yesterday. Since the back of the camera moves when the film holder is inserted, I immediately thought, "How do I know the thicknesses involved here?" My assumption is there was some agreed upon standard but that's a laughable notion. I'm sure there at least 8 "standards".

I might try a dullard's approach to see if things are wildly off at first. Then again, I'll probably just take a picture and see what happens.

The journey is the adventure.